W210 Diesel estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pint6x

Car
BMW 525d SE Touring 3.0 manual
After much analysis (hours spent on various internet sites and buying various car magazines) I have decided to buy a W210 estate - probably a diesel, so that limits me to an E220 (man or auto) or E320 auto. I think I'm right in saying there weren't any E270s in the W210 shape - or there were, but not in this country.

Anyway - the thing which I find scary is the possibility of the tin worm - I will probably be buying privately or from a car supermarket, so I would be interested to know from this esteemed readership:

a) Were there any W210 models less likely to rust? i.e. later ones perhaps?

b) if there's gonna be any rust, where should I look for it?

c) if it's the E220, should I get a manual or an auto? wouldn't it be a bit of a slug with the autobox?

I thank you

Early on there were E300 Diesel and E300 Turbodiesel models. These were replaced by the E320 CDi

From what I've heard they can rust almost anywhere - do a search for W210 rust and settle down for a long evening of reading

I'd buy a post-99 facelift E320 CDi with a warranty in exactly the spec you want and with full Mercedes history & Mobilolife cover in case of future rust problems

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Sounds like you've got a decent budget,in that case a BMW E39 530d touring makes more sense IMHO.No structural rust although the tailgates can suffer a bit and a better drive.

adam

Last edited:
Hi, I have been really pleased with my E320 CDi, it had some rust spots when I bought it which have now been sorted. Due to this I spent some time searching the forum and came up with the following list of stuff to look out for.

Spring cups/coil spring perches
Rear Subframes
Doors tops
Rear wheelarches
Door bottom
Front wheelarches
Suspension Mounts
Engine Mounts
Front Cross Member
Rear Tailgate

This may seem a bit scarey but to reassure you on mine it was the wheel arches, door tops and tailgate and it was really only on the outside of the panels so easy to fix.

I checked over the car while it was apart and there was no sign of rust on the inner wings etc and I have been told it all looks solid undernieth.

I test drove the older E300 turbo diesel and found that to be a nice drive too, not quite as fast as the E320 though. The E430 (petrol) I drove was very nice but I could not convice my better half on that one.

Don;t make the same mistake as me by buying the first E320 CDi that I drove, was so impressed with the drive I missed all the rust, if you take care there are good ones to be had.

As for avoiding rust I have heard that the very early or late ones seem better also the ones which are obsidian black in colour I have no personal experiance of this so it may be old wives tales.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Pint6x, I have an E300 turbo diesel estate 1997 vintage, had the car looked at by MB repair people only to be told that the car was over 9years old and was not covered:( Four doors, tailgate, front wings and rear offisde panel. Well, I took the car to my local body shop, and they removed all the rust, resprayed the affected areas all for £500 + HM's bit. So not too expensive, considering the age. HTH

Geoff

Look under the rubbers at the top of the doors - rust spreads along here. If no rust then it can be prevented by squirting something in there, such as waxoyl or vaseline (other people may have other ideas)
Check under the wheelarches - stone chips here can rust
Check around the tailgate handle/lock

Also the estates seem prone to stone chip damage on the roof - easily touched up if caught early.
Mine also went where the bumper meets the front wing, although that started at the wheelarch. Also check around the front wings where they meet the grill - I've seen them go there as well.
Mine also went around the windscreen at the top.

Don't discount the 220. They can be remapped!

Nick

DrNick said:
Also the estates seem prone to stone chip damage on the roof - easily touched up if caught early.
Mine also went where the bumper meets the front wing, although that started at the wheelarch. Also check around the front wings where they meet the grill - I've seen them go there as well.
Mine also went around the windscreen at the top.
The 320CDI was first introduced in approximately 1999, it will have the 'soft' paint which does chip very easily.

John

DrNick said:
Look under the rubbers at the top of the doors - rust spreads along here. If no rust then it can be prevented by squirting something in there, such as waxoyl or vaseline (other people may have other ideas)

Nick

Use silicone spray....waxoyl is not so good for rubber.

adam

Fair enough. I've seen spray grease used as well - no idea if this has detrimental effects either.

We might (just might) be tempted to sell our year 2000 E320 CDI Estate Elegance (but with Avantgarde chassis pack). Silver, completely rust free, black leather, 7 seater, parking distance control, and just coming up to 90k. Superb condition !!! Very well maintained (extra services by me). But we do need to be tempted by the right offer hence I'm not actively marketing it. We are in two minds about this but a people shifter beckons. Mind you, not many people shifters have the boot space that the E has and the choices are very limited. Only a Grand Voyager ticks that box really.

A known rust problem area on the estate is just underneath the tailgate handle, above the number plate.

I have an E320cdi has now got 62K miles and had MB paintwork for rust get later one 2002 on check wether you can MB Service Plus it before purchase can be usefull to sort out gremlins

Jeez - I wouldn't touch another W210 with a bargepole. I have one (2001) - rust all over the place - just had front wings replaced under warranty. Mine is better than friend's (2002) which is rust badly on rear floor which MB won't repair. Father's W210 (2002) is just as bad. Trim is rubbish too - vanity mirror covers break on all three cars. Instrument panel missing display segments. Door mirror problems etc etc. There are exceptions out there but it seems they are exceptions.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom