W210 Digital Clock in the instrument pod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheMadTad

Another feature of my nice E320 - W210 Variant relates to the digital clock in the instrument pod. The digital readout is 'garbled/scrambled/doesn't work'. By using the 'change the time' routine it is possible to see something happening - like the top half of a number 2 or part of another number but essentially everything is there but its er.. useless

Could anyone advise whether this means that the clock itself is u/s or from experience do you know whether it could be a loose connection.. I read somewhere on the www that there are ribbon leads behind the cluster (I am guessing these are the same sort used on a C180?) and these are prone to becoming faulty.

I am guessing I can get another clock from a scrappie or etc but don't want to waste my time if its a lost cause. Tnanks

Another feature of my nice E320 - W210 Variant relates to the digital clock in the instrument pod. The digital readout is 'garbled/scrambled/doesn't work'. By using the 'change the time' routine it is possible to see something happening - like the top half of a number 2 or part of another number but essentially everything is there but its er.. useless

Could anyone advise whether this means that the clock itself is u/s or from experience do you know whether it could be a loose connection.. I read somewhere on the www that there are ribbon leads behind the cluster (I am guessing these are the same sort used on a C180?) and these are prone to becoming faulty.

I am guessing I can get another clock from a scrappie or etc but don't want to waste my time if its a lost cause. Tnanks

I guess you have browsed through old threads as you have found the ribbon cable reference. But this is not a cable/connector behind the cluster but a membrane connector behind the LCD screen, between the LCD glass and the printed circuit board. I don't have a photo from an MB but two example LCD connectors attached. You would need to dismantle the cluster but there are old threads that should help with the task if you want to try it yourself.

Note that the lower one is about 1 mm X 12 mm in size.

Attachments

• LCD membrane.jpg
    LCD membrane.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for clarifying Diesel Benz. On reflection this sounds like a '5 minute job that has the potential to take all day and then end in tears' job (Haven't we all been there?). On balance I think I will leave well alone and be thankful its only the clock (for the moment... eek!?) that's gone down and not the other instruments. One day when I'm feeling a bit gung ho perhaps. Meantime, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom