W210 "Display Defective" message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Karl

I recently began to have "Display Defective" message and the icon of a radiator appear when I switch on the ignition.

Anyone had this problem ?

I recently replaced the thermostat and filled with soft water (no antifreeze yet). This may be a red herring.

Karl said:
I recently began to have "Display Defective" message and the icon of a radiator appear when I switch on the ignition.

Anyone had this problem ?

I recently replaced the thermostat and filled with soft water (no antifreeze yet). This may be a red herring.

Have you checked the radiator temperature connections, as they may be loose or dirty?

Anti Freeze also protects the cooling system against corrosion. Plain water is a bad idea. I would put in anti freeze asap.

Karl said:

Never put herring in your radiator or you'll end up taking it round the dealers plaice. I hake it when that happens (Sorry :p )

And of course they'd expect you to pay c.o.d.!!

Used to get the same message on my 98 320d usually first thing in the morning. It used to go if i turned off and restarted
Took it back to dealers on several occasions but it was like toothache always dissapeared and they could not find anything wrong.
Stopped worrying about it after six mths then it never appeared again.

re:display defective

the fault you describe is either the washer bottle level sensor or coolant level
sensor that are defective
they are wired in series and work on a voltage coded system read by the
instrument cluster if the voltages are not within its parameters it gives this
display
no guarantees which one but odds on washer level sensor
regards
conect

The icon that comes up may not be the radiator icon - although it looks a lot like the radiator icon it is probably the icon which is alerting you that your car needs to be taken back to a dealer for a diagnostic check - and the display error is probably to do is one of the ABS or ESP computers.

I had the same thing occur recently, gave mercedes a call, sent someone straight out to attend and dropped round a courtesy car no questions asked!!

Thanks to Conect. It was the windscreen washer level sensor. Not expensive at £17.20 either and fitted in 30 seconds. Thanks mate.

Thats intersting to know as this has happened to me. As soon as I topped up the washer fluid bottle it goes out.

Did you fit the sensor yourself?

Cheers
Ian

Call me fussy but I actually took my washer bottle out the other day to clean it.

It was starting to look black, slimmy and yukky inside, as the filler lid is so big its a easy clean and has made a big diff'. I also took the sensor out and cleaned the float etc. It's a very easy job, best done by putting hand into bottle and pushing it up.

Cheers Paul
I will have a fiddle. Hope your keeping well have seem you on much these days?

Cheers
Ian

rirhill said:
Cheers Paul
I will have a fiddle. Hope your keeping well have seem you on much these days?

Cheers
Ian

Thanks Ian,

About the only thing that hasn't changed in my life this past year has been the car and my job. Tell all on Saturday.
:bannana:

Display defect with rad symbol

I've just cured this exact same problem on my w210 after reading every similar posting to glean the info. I replaced the sensor in the screenwash bottle (£18) from my local dealership. It was a two minute job. It's the thing that sticks in from the top, with just a two wire connector. The display defect relates to the sensor not working properly. It could also be the coolant sensor (£11) It's worth trying both as the two circuits are linked.

I really thought the instro cluster was at fault (£400) dealer, (£150-200 breakers) What a relief!

Gavin

I will have to give a go as its spring cleaning time. Having spent £400 on a B service they didn t even change the air filter. So I did yesterday surprise I didn t bugger it up.

Thanks again
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom