W210 Door Mirror Theft Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jime200k

Has anybody else out there been the victim of door mirror theft? I couldn't believe the fact that MB designed them with three philips head screws revealed when retracted. All it takes is for someone to unscrew them and unplug the wire and they are away. Over £1000 for a pair. It has now happened to me three times in spite of drilling the centre of the screw out the last time. MB refuse to accept any liability and my local showroom say they would give me some if they had them in stock but due to the age of the vehicle, they don't.
I advise anyone out there with a similar model (2000 to 2002) to take it into their local dealer to get them properly secured. In the meantime if anyone knows where I can source a pair of mirrors just so that I can avoid making a third claim in 7 months, please let me know.

Plenty of 210's in the scrapyards - I saw a newly arrived E320 W210 in a scrapyard in Paisley last Friday , still complete with mirrors - car was terminally rusty on just about every panel but not accident damaged . The yard is in McKean St in Paisley so you may get them via directory enquiries and see if they will remove and post - or just try round your local yards .

Typical price for a door mirror from a scrappy is about £15 - that's what I paid for an electric , heated W126 nearside mirror that same day .

Re the theft problem - can you access the other side of where the mirror bolts to ?

If so , just use slightly longer bolts then spin up a lock nut from behind - it'll make the bolt practically impossible to remove from outside .

Thanks for replying. I did a search of local breakers but could only find black ones (mine's silver) and they were asking £75 plus VAT for each side. I was told to repaint them!

Cheaper to pay the excess in that case, but I will give Paisley a ring just in case.

Install them with torx screws, an idea Nick Shude gave me for when I get my w210 mirrors fitted.

Hi,
The problem with your car is that it is a facelift, and has a blinker in it. The earlier E Class W210 mirror is the same as the W202 and some S Classes and SL's, hence very common and now cheap.
Ever thought of fitting the earlier mirrors? Though the plug on the mirror or the cars loom would have to be changed, but apart from that they are a direct swap.
I can,t see why you think this is a design flaw on MB behalf, its just as well they are so easy to remove otherwise you might be forking out for new doors to replace the ones that were damaged when the mirrors were stolen.

The car in Paisley is silver .

Gosh - this takes me back to Mk3 Cortina rear light lenses being stolen (as they used to fade).

Apparently there's a huge problem in London with BMW M3 front bumpers being nicked - the whole thing unbolts in moments and new ones cost an absolute fortune.

I have about 30 pairs...My 'Boys' collect them overnight....Which shade of silver do you need....LOL:thumb:

torq screws are your answer! they come up on fleabay once in a while.

Torx drivers are commonplace - all the neds will have them - no security against theft .

Torx screws are fitted to just about everything nowadays, Security torx screws then:D

The idea posted above with longer screws with nuts on the inside sounds easier.

Lynall

Torx screws are fitted to just about everything nowadays, Security torx screws then:D

The idea posted above with longer screws with nuts on the inside sounds easier.

Lynall
I agree, make sure you use nyloc nuts as these are almost impossible to 'spin off' from the wrong side.

Typical price for a door mirror from a scrappy is about £15 - that's what I paid for an electric , heated W126 nearside mirror that same day .

Hoping for facelift mirrors for a W210 for £15 a side might be wishful thinking.

Perhaps , my local scrappys tend to just have standard prices for certain components and don't care what car it came off .

I was also quoted £30 for the full front bumper complete with good chrome off the same W126 ; W126 headlamp £25 ; W126 duovalve complete with electric circulation pump - a fiver ; my pal James got an AMG front bumper complete with foglamps for his W124 for £25 and a black , full leather interior for a W201 with doorcards & electric front seats : £40 ( Forty , not four hundred ) .

I rather think all the scrappys down south charge too much .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom