W210 E200 Starting issue.. Help pls!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imbck666

Car
Mercedes W124 230E Saloon (SOLD), W210 E200 (WRITTEN OFF), W210 E240 2001 Facelift, W211 E220 cdi 07
Hi all,
w210 E200 98'
M111 engine..

All was well until today, got in the car put electronic key in, all lights on dash light up.. but no crank.. Sounds like a loud click from the starter, all lights on dash dim but no crank or start...
Tried jumping the car with leads, no help...
Changed battery with a friends new one.. Still same issue.. Turn key, lights dim, loud click but no crank or start..
What could the problem be? I know its not the battery so could it be a faulty starter? Or relay, if so any ideas to which one?

An important question - Can I start the car without turning the key and without hooking 12v to the starter, I read on a post few months back that a cable from a switch near ABS pump, to 12V terminal jump port under bonnet would crank starter?

Help please anyone....

No replies? BUMP

I would hazard a guess it's an issue with either they key (have you tried the spare key?) or the immobiliser.

Alternatively it could be an issue with the automatic transmission inhibitor that prevents the car from being started when the lever is in gear.

And of course the starter motor or its solenoid could be at fault (I am not sure if the starter motor has a relay in the fusebox).

I think the first step would be getting someone with STAR to check for any fault codes?

Last edited:
Connected to star no faults at all.. cant be the key tried both..
Tried starting in N and P.. still no change..

Connected to star no faults at all.. cant be the key tried both..
Tried starting in N and P.. still no change..

If the inhibitor switch is faulty then moving the lever won't help.

Said that, this and immobiliser issues will not allow current to the starter so no clicking sound, if you do hear a clicking sound then either the starter is not getting enough power e.g. battery issue (which you ruled out) or the solenoid won't engage in which case it's a fault with the solenoid or alternator.

Another possibility is bad or corroded main earth connection, or bad contacts on the alternator etc.

Last edited:
The fact that the lights dim suggests starter motor, does the engine turn over manually by hand? The starter is control by k40 in the n/s module box it's at the front of the box with relays and fuses in it, my money is on starter, they do tend to be quite reliable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom