W210 E200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark9208

Hi,

I am new to this thread and live in Malaysia. I plan to purchase a UK reconditioned yr 2000 E200 W210. Before I buy, are there any issues that I should be aware of about this car? I tried entering the VIN in the Russian site but somehow it cannot decode the VIN, Is there another way that I can decode the VIN. Also the VIN is only available on the door sill and not in the engine bay near the radiator like my W124 (which also a UK recond from the Derwent dealer)

I really appreciate any assistance. Thanks

Mark

Are you entering all 17 digits from the VIN, which should be visible through the windscreen looking onto the dashboard on the passenger side.

Not sure what you mean by reconed car, dealers don't do that, but I suspect it's been resprayed and prepped for sale.

The single biggest thing to look for is rust.
Door tops, boot round the lock button, front spring perches, wheelarches, bonnet skin to frame joints, battery tray, radiator support panel, inside the spare wheel well and underneath especially the subframes.

Stick the VIN up here for a minute and I'll get you the datacard. You can then remove the number if you want.

Last edited:
Hi Dieselman,

You are right, the car is prepped up for resale. The Vin is WDBXXXXXXXAXXXXXX. Also there is a rust spot in the engine bay area in one of the sub frames. Are these cars reliable? Is the 2000 the last W210?

Thanks

Last edited:
They are reliable, Mark. I had mine from 30 something thousand miles to 154,000 miles, and the only non-service item that needed replacement was a cat (pattern part fitted for under £300)
As DM says - rust is the only real problem.

Here

Last edited:
Wow thanks, now all I have to do is check that the engine and tranny number matches. The car is clocked at 19k, is there a way that I can check its history when it was in the UK? Do you think that MERC in UK will help if I give the VIN? Thanks

The car is clocked at 19k, is there a way that I can check its history when it was in the UK? Do you think that MERC in UK will help if I give the VIN? Thanks

19K for a car of almost 9 years old? Does not sound right.

An HPI check will include data from the national mileage register.

Sorry, I was not clear, it was shipped to Malaysia from UK in 2005. The HPI wants the registration number, which I don't have, I only have teh VIN

I was going to ask if it was a UK car as it doesn't have code 833 and 984.

Not sure how MB UK would be able to help if it was abroad.

The dealer said it was a used in UK spec car. Hmm, I am taking a MB supervisor to check the car out today. But I am still unsure of its history. Is the biodegradeble harness still an issue in a model this late in the line?

W210 don't suffer with electrical or wiring harness issues, just rust.

W210 ran from 1996 to 2002 as saloon and 2003 as estate. Yr 2000 makes it a fairly early facelift.

Why couldn't the MB Supervisor get the datacard.? It doesn't go into the Rusky site because it's far East export.

ok thanks, I forgot ask him. thats heartening to hear. I will update my findings to day. thanks again

Tested the car out and it was fine. Only heard a slightt squeak going up and down a speed bump...any thoughts? What else should I check apart from rust when checking the car.Sorry I am not an expert on this

Thanks
Mark

The squeak is probably the front suspension or anti-roll bar bushes, which are cheap to deal with.
As far as mechanical checks go, check that the gearbox is smooth, the engine feels lively (if not particularly powerful). you should feel the engine suddenly gain more power as the revs rise due to the cam timing device changing the timing.

Check for oil leaks from the engine, gearbox and differential. Expect the diff to be wet, but not dripping.
Other than that just make sure all the toys work, including air-con and that the car has had regular fluids services including engine oil, gearbox oil, differential oil, antifreeze, brake fluid.

Did I mention rust......
W210 cars are well engineered cars but the paintwork at the edges of metal stampings is a problem area.

It's a Yr2000 car with the electronic key so make sure you get them all and they all work, they are nearly £200 each and have to be ordered from Germany against the car VIN.

Ok noted on the suspension noise. The gear changes are smooth and the engine does gain power as the revs increase. I have not checked the underneath yet, but I will see it on my next off day.

Cannot say about the fluid changes as it was kept in storage for sale, but he promised a full service if I purchase. Is a fluid change necessary for the differential. All the gadgets work. There are some dinks on the body that he will fix and the dash temp LED display is damaged which he will repair. One carpet emblem has gone missing though.

Both electronic keys are supplied and working. Are these keys durable?

p/s: there are 2 bumps on the paint work which he will address

Thanks

Hi,

I am finalising my purchase , hope all goes well. I read some horror stories about the quality of W210's that were manufactured in South Africa. After reading Honest John's site, I am thinking twice. Is there anyway that my VIN can reveal the car's manufacturing plant? Thanks to Dieselman for the pull up too but the plant was blank? any reason for this?
Hope someone can help me on this. Thanks again

Mark

I don't think any W210 were SA built and believe this one to be a Sindelfingen built car as denoted by the A in the VIN number.

BTW. The VIN now works on the Rusky site..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom