W210 E220 cdi Auto 2001 Gear Shifter Sticking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

puckfair

Hello Everybody. I would like to begin by thanking all of you for the good advice and instruction which has really helped me at times of bother in the past. I recently left my 2001 E220 cdi Auto 120,000 mls parked for five days. It was fine when I left it but on my return it started up ok but was stuck in P. I released it with a screwdriver but now it will not change gears. Also of note are the following:1. The reversing lights do not work. 2. I must take my foot off the brake to move from N to R to P but must put my foot back on brake pedal to come out of P (as normal). 3.The digital gear display in dash has gone blank but outside temp and clock are fine. The brake lights work but I have ordered a Brake Light Switch anyway just in case the other side of switch has failed. Has anybody come across this problem...forgot to mention battery is fine and charging ok. Thanks in advance

I expect the selector module has failed.

Double check the battery then get it on a Star.

Thank you for speedy reply..Battery reading just over 12v when engine stopped and 14v+ when running. Turns over engine fast so probably fine. I'm in Northern Ireland and will have to travel a fair bit to get star reading but will probably have to do so. It is strange that this seemed to happen because the car was idle for five days. However I remember that I left the same car idle for a week a couple of years ago and it took a few weeks of driving to get everything back to normal again. I dont think it is good to leave these cars idle for any while...thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom