W210 E240 Brake light bulb confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glider240

Car
E240 Saloon Almandine Black
Hi Folks,
My brake light bulb has failed, so I went and got a new one from Halfords (380) and an independent, but neither fit. The original has slightly different locator pin distances on the body, but all the new ones that claim to fit, don't fit!
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks,
Rod

Iirc a 380 is stop/tail. The pins are offset vertically so you cannot fit it into a bulb holder meant for a 382 which is a single filament. There are also some 382 bulbs that have the 'tangs' staggered around the circumference. These are usually the amber bulbs and these are to stop you putting in an amber bulb where it should be clear. Best to take the failed bulb in and ask for a replacement.

Last edited:
It's in the hand book (available online)...you need a P21/4w. (566).

The 380 you bought is a 21/5w...why did you buy that? Did you not have a look at the one you were replacing?Is this really so difficult?

Last edited:
It's in the hand book (available online)...you need a P21/4w. (566).

The 380 you bought is a 21/5w...why did you buy that? Did you not have a look at the one you were replacing?Is this really so difficult?

You are totally correct, it's not that difficult, but I was out with no reading glasses and had to rely on the assistant, which is a mistake.

All sorted now, thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom