W210 E240 cranking but not starting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Usuf_x

Car
E240 Avantagarde Estate
Hi people I am in a bit of a bother here
1) car is cranking but not starting
2) electric windows and indicators randomly not working.

I tried searching the forum but not sure on where to get started.

1) engine is cranking but not starting this happened for the 1st time on Friday night so called AA, so he checked by opening the air box and spraying something into the air box and the car wanted to turn, so he new that the car was not getting fuel, he then checked the fuses and they were fine, he managed to touch the fuel pump and magically the car started up.

then on Saturday it started up fine drove the car around and went to the local garage where it decided not to start up again (good job as well) so left it with him. he tried to check the car later that day and it started up so he said he will check on Monday

The fuel pump was changed last year as it was leaking and I believe the local garage replaced it with a pattern part. could this be the problem or are there other areas that I should look into

2) Now this has happened twice and again randomly, the 1st time was a few months ago and I thought nothing of thinking it was having a weird day, I turned off the car and re-started and had been fine until 2 weeks back when it happened again, again it was a case of turn off and turn and was fine, has anyone else experienced this or can someone point me in the right direction to work out what this could be?

Thanks in advance

So the car starts when it's cold but not warm? Has the crank position sensor ever been replaced?

Does this happen from cold or does it usually after it has warmed up?
If it usually doesn't restart after its warmed up, you may have the start of a crankshaft sensor problem.
Get them to check it

check fuel pump again and all connections as maybe the electrical ones have become loose or broken

the 1st time it happened was when I started up from cold, drove to work parked in the underground car park 9am and then after work at 4pm it didn't start. The underground car park is normally warm, even the AA guy said it was like a sauna. the second time it happened was when the car had been driven for about 30 mins from a cold start and then left for 2 hours before restarting and then drove for dove mins to garage and tried restarting after 5 mins and it didn't want to, but the later in teh afternoon when the mechanic tried to start it it started 1st time...

so i guess you can say it does not start from warmed up. I will get the garage to check the CPS, is this an easy thing to check?

I think you can try to replace the neutral safety starter switch this part is responsible for the engine to start. This is only a reference.

Sounds like a crankshaft position sensor fault, when it is not starting you need a diagnostic machine connected to the engine control unit so you can read the RPM signal.

If it is seeing no engine speed then it will be this at fault :thumb:

I think you can try to replace the neutral safety starter switch this part is responsible for the engine to start. This is only a reference.

WFT is a Neutral safety starter switch?

BTW you have to get permission to advertise on here.

update..............

changed the CPS and it seemed to work fine a day until tonight when it did the same thing

called the AA guy who came 2 hours later and while he was checking for known areas to look i told him i can not hear the fuel pump, so he then checked it out and was saying that the fuel pump is not getting any power, he then got his trusty hammer out and tapped the fuel pump as i cranked the car and hey presto it started up!

next job replace the fuel pump and hopefully that will be that

if the fuel pump is faulty would it stop power coming to the fuel pump or does the fuel pump complete the connection and if its not work then no power is read by a volt meter?

You are right,no power no pump,you can't beat power in to it with a hammer.another one for the AA book of jokes,might well be the fuel pump relay.

the AA guy did check the relay I think he tested to hear clicking sound, which he did, so he said its not the relay, tried with another relay from another part of the car still no go. so he hit the pump with a hammer (probably sticking) and it turned..

ok update and i believe it has been solved, not sure how to put the "solved" word in the tile but i have now had a new fuel pump fitted and so far for the last 3 days it has been fine and starting up expected both in cold and hot start ups

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom