W210 E280 auto rolls backwards on hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
Just noticed today that when doing hill starts either going forwards or backwards that the car rolls the wrong way (ie down the hill) unless I use the parking brake to hold it. :eek:

I don't remember it doing this before - does it indicate that something is out of adjustment or needs attention?

Auto box functions fine otherwise.:thumb:

Car is a 1999 face lift and done about 95k miles.

You could start by checking the propshaft couplings.

As always with potential gerabox faults get the oil level checked first.

Lynall

Just noticed today that when doing hill starts either going forwards or backwards that the car rolls the wrong way (ie down the hill) unless I use the parking brake to hold it. :eek:

I don't remember it doing this before - does it indicate that something is out of adjustment or needs attention?

Auto box functions fine otherwise.:thumb:

Car is a 1999 face lift and done about 95k miles.

All hills or just steep ones?

All hills or just steep ones?

Just steep ones I think.
It can be held on the throttle, but in the short time it takes to get your right foot from the brake to the gas, the car has already rolled. :(
If I use the parking brake to hold it, then once I've got off the normal brake and got on the gas, I can hold it when the parking brake is off.

You could start by checking the propshaft couplings.

Really? If they were worn, wouldn't this just introduce play, rather than continuous rolling down a hill?

Well its quite normal on steep hills for the car to roll, all three of my vehicles do it. If you had said that it did it all the time I would have said that you had a problem somewhere.

.....aaah I see, continuous roll? Thought you meant a couple of inches sorry.

Have you tried switching the setting from S to W ? W is starting in 2nd gear and its known that the S setting doesn't always hold the car on a hill. Also a 25RPM increase in the S setting can make the difference.
This was what I found on my W210 W280 anyway.

Mines holds on quite steep hills fine.

Lynall

its normaly the one way bearing in the box that fails, causing it to roll back on inclines , nothing to do with gearbox mode or oil level . hope this helps , oh and not that bad a job if you know what your doing ;)

Thanks everyone for your views. :)I went out for a spin by myself this evening to find some steep hills to do a bit more testing (not hard where I live - Malvern). :rock:

It actually seems fine on all but quite steep hills, and now I know about it, I can take precautions by using the parking brake. :bannana:

This morning, when I first noticed the problem, I drove forwards down a hill to park, then tried to reverse back up the hill. I think I took my foot off the brake half a second too early before reverse had properly engaged. After my further testing this evening, I noticed that if I wait for the change in engine tone to indicate that reverse has properly engaged, then the rolling downhill is not nearly so bad.

I don't think there is anything seriously wrong, as I first feared there might be.

las-swdck.jpg

Mine also rolls on steep hills, like this one, Hardnott Pass :D.

Picture071.jpg

its normaly the one way bearing in the box that fails, causing it to roll back on inclines , nothing to do with gearbox mode or oil level . hope this helps , oh and not that bad a job if you know what your doing ;)

Is that a box out job ? or can it be done with box in situ ?

It's a box out job I am afraid ,the outer casing of the box off and then strip box down to locate the one way

My E280 210 does it too. I don't tend to worry about it much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom