W210 E300 Windows Playing Up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tbmeech

Guys,

Just picked myself up a little workhorse, its a '99 E300 TD, though it's got a small problem (I knew this when I bought it).

Basically every now and again, the windows get stuck when I open them, when i disconnect the battery and leave it for 10+ mins, everything works again, and it intermittently comes back, it affects all windows, and comes and goes quite randomly.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? or had the same problemns?

Cheers :)

Windows acting in this way is usually the result of having the battery disconnected.

After reconnecting the battery the windows have to be re-set by going all the way up and down several times. You may have to coax each window to move by pressing the button in short taps and maybe not depressing the button the whole way down (there is a point on the switch mid-way between idle and full).

Once you have done the above the windows will recognise the one-shot function etc.

There may also be a problem (possibly moisture) with the control unit that is situated in a foam boot next to the battery (IIRC).

Last edited:
Iirc to programme you press to wind them up or down and when they are fully up or down just hold the button for another 5 seconds.

Lynall

Ok cheers, i'll try re-programming the windows.

Does anyone know where the control box is located incase it happens again after reprogramming?

Cheers :)

^ Under the off side rear seat.

i think this is one of the rear window modules corrupting the interior can and causing the front modules to drop out. this is very common on these cars, also on the 202.

i think this is one of the rear window modules corrupting the interior can and causing the front modules to drop out. this is very common on these cars, also on the 202.

How can I diagnose which module is playing up?

It happened again this morning, even after the battery being disconnected for >30 mins yesterday, I reprogrammed the windows, by winding up, then holding switch for 5 seconds after window fully raised, then the same with the window down, repeated several times for each window.

This morning, drive the car to work, everything is fine, tried the window (front) and it got stuck again, wouldnt come back up, and then i noticed the interior light was out too when the door was open, regardless of the switch setting.

Disconnected the battery for a few seconds, and then hey presto everything is fine again :doh:

Seems so random, it worked fine for about 10 days last week

the very best way to diagnose is with star. if you want to diy it, just remove the rear door panels one at a time and disconnect the motors (the control unit is built into the motors in the rear windows). use the car with 1x disconnected and see if it is ok, if not ok try the other one.

the interior light not working is another sign of this fault, it too is on the interior bus.
good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom