W210 E300TD 98 Not starting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rspete

Car
S210 EClass E300TD Avantgarde
I am having a problem with my 98 E300TD (several actually but this is by far and away the most pressing.)

As as result of killing my Ford Focus in floods last week this is my only other form of transport for work. And I need to be able to work otherwise no pay.....

So I have carried out some work such as re-replacing all the O rings in the fuel system including the one on the side of the fuel pump but not the injectors.
I expected the battery to take a punishing trying to prime the system but I am now on day two...
Tank full, fuel cap off crank and crank and crank all clear lines showing fuel with virtually no residual air. Feeling positive about that but its not starting.....
crack off pipe to injectors, no fuel apparent when cranking...
This is making me look suspiciously at the shut off valve which obviously had to be disturbed to replace the "o" ring.

Any suggestions as to what to check electrics etc? I read there is sometimes an issue with the K40 relay, does that make sense and where the hell is it located? The car is a RHD Estate E300TD 98 model.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am pulling my hair out here as I am panicking a wee bit due to working away during the week and this is not looking good for getting there!

Double check all you o rings you did put a little grease on o ring stops it pinching going on to connections
Then turn key in car listen for pump to prime the fuel if no tap pump

And check all related fuses

Then remove inlet pipe for air filter use brake cleaner to start the car as less hard on pistons as easy start once car starts keep running this may be a two person job

Then take for a spin to flush any air out of system

Hope this helps

It could be the seals on high pressure pump after that you can buy a seal kit if the pump is wet

Reduce costs

Hi and many thanks for suggestions

Went back to car and played with the connector to the Shut off valve. Daughter cranked while I watched and lo and behold it started, stalled and started twice more and then run.
She says you have a message "EPC engine electronics".....that wasn't there before..:dk:
Anyway it is running smoother than it ever has... though air is STILL apparent in the bloody fuel lines though..:wallbash:

SO what is "EPC engine electronics"..... likely to mean? I am guessing that it may be connected to a dodgy cut off valve connector...

Is it possible to
a) clear and check to see if it reappears, would it reset if the battery is disconnected is so how long for?
b) read any error codes without expensive MB software i.e. any equivalent to VAG.com?

I will let it cool and see if it restarts but the real test will be 5a.m. tomorrow

Any advice and suggestions on what else may need looking at very welcome, particularly the location of the K40...

Well the "EPC engine electronics" warning seemed to clear once the battery was disconnected for a while.
Starts OK for now.
Will have to see what happens in the coming week...

the epc will come up during a v poor start cycle. the mrs had a 97 e300td before.

check the thermostat / heater under the inlet manifold for leaks. add a boat type manual hand primer bulb in the fuel line. hers leaked air in the hard ljne to plastic next to the nearside strut area.

injector o rigs easier than expected to replace, just need the special socket (which i have left over, foc if you send me an envelope.....)

Many thanks for the offer. I will, if thats ok, take you up on that.
(How do I get your address? :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom