W210 E300TD - belt tensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Parrot of Doom

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 R-reg W210 E300TD saloon
Could someone tell me how the belt tensioner works on this engine?

I replaced the shock/piston a few weeks ago (old one - bushes shot), and its been fine. However the other day it dumped its oil out the bottom of the piston, so I need to know if its likely just a faulty shock, or if something else needs looking at.

The part that I used wasn't a MB part, it was from Eurocarparts - so I'll likely replace it with a proper MB part. I just don't want to spend more money and have it go again, because something else is wrong?

The spring looks fine.

when you replaced the shock absorber did you remove the fan pulley, viscouse coupling fan and radiator cowl?

I used the Europarts replacement shock without probs, maybe you should ask for a new one under guarantee ( I would).

------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you able to remove the shock without forcing it or the tensioner?
Were you able to refit the fanbelt easily?

It is possible to route the fanbelt incorrectly round the alternator pulley, it looks right but the belt is overtight and the shock is compressed against its stop, if left this way it doesn't last long ( from bitter experience) so its worth checking before fitting another one.

Good luck

Karl

No, we managed to do it without removing anything else - the bolt is juuuuuuuust short enough to extract the shock absorber from the mounting eye.

Its still doing its job right now, although the belt is a little bit slacker than it would be so its driveable. I suppose theres nothing to lose by taking it in to Eurocarparts, getting a replacement, and re-installing it.

Replaced it today. The replacement unit was a different make, and much stiffer than the first one was, before it went faulty. Got a refund.

The faulty shock came out and was like a child's toy, it was completely empty of oil. No wonder the belt was vibrating like mad!

Interestingly, its only just possible to remove the shock without disassembling the fan, with a bit of elbow grease the bolt is just short enough to allow the shock to come out.

And pop goes the second replacement :D

Well, apparently the fault is the pulley, the arm, and the shocker (the former two caused the latter to die).

Being fixed now by Greenvale in Manchester. Oh well, you can't take it with you when you die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom