W210 E300TD Running...sort of.. coolant temp issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rspete

Car
S210 EClass E300TD Avantgarde
Having finally got it running yeterday, I drove to work in it today...
Up at 5 and start car ...cough splutter miss but running...running rough but that's not unusual till a bit of heats in it (blame the missing no 6 glow plug and the continuing saga of air in the system)
Anyway finally leave Bath on the weekly round trip to Gaydon..
Performance is as usual for the beast these days somewhat lack lustre but that's ok as it will get better once its all warmed up.
Except it didn't.
The whole journey was ...slow...
No acceleration, or rather very little...If I kicked the pedal hard the revs climbed slowly and the car picked up speed slowly but no hard acceleration.
While travelling at this leisurely rate I noticed the temp guage rarely strayed above approx 65 deg. (Outside temp approx 3-4 deg)
The heater was blowing hot air with the occasional cold blast but mainly hot.
And so I arrived at work and parked it up.
Cursing it.
Again.
It wouldnt lock on the key fob button....
This evening started it, usual cough and splutter fortunately few witnesses to the early evening fog emanating from that part of the car park (not as bad as it was so some progress!)
No indicators, wiper or horn (and presumably no air pump for locking doors.) Looks like the SAM is playing up again/still....
And drove to Leamington Spa retail park.. Halfords...ATF, torch, funnels and WD40..Sainsbury's for food and then back to my digs.
Car was showing approx 75 deg as I left the car park and realised it accelerated more in keeping with my vague memories of old...

SAMs still not working though..

Now my questions are
a) what temp should I expect to see on the temp gauge on a run? (I am sure its more normally about 80+ deg.
b) If the thermostat is jammed open or missing and its overcooling would that affect performance as described (running rather than starting)
c)Where is the Thermostat and coolant temp sensor located?
d) what else could cause this?
e) I the SAM module coded to the car or can I swap it out with one purchased off ebay...?

Once again, and I suspect not for the last time, thanks for any help offered..

(Carries on like this and I may even have to resurrect the Ducati and the neighbours are not going to like that at 5 in the morning....)

Today Tuesday
Drove to work, car in go slow mode. no indicators etc....
Evening drive home after messing with the connectors on the SAM. Indicators etc now working. Stop and Indicators etc pack up.....ho hum.
Leave shopping area car park and car accelerates more normally..again.
Is this temp related? Each time I have driven to the shopping centre and let the car sit and soak it appears to perform...(The SAM is a separate issue, new S/H one ordered from flea bay)

Any ideas on the performance issue? Normal temps or issues with Temperatures causing poor running?

a) what temp should I expect to see on the temp gauge on a run? (I am sure its more normally about 80+ deg.
b) If the thermostat is jammed open or missing and its overcooling would that affect performance as described (running rather than starting)
c)Where is the Thermostat and coolant temp sensor located?
d) what else could cause this?
e) I the SAM module coded to the car or can I swap it out with one purchased off ebay...?

a, correct
b, yes, they fail open and can over-cool on a run but reach normal temp if you're stuck in traffic, i.e. not moving quickly.
c, the stat is low down near the alternator. can't remember where the cts is.
d, investigate this first.
e, no coding at this age.

f. good luck:D

a). I thought they should sit at 75 (& on a motorway run with all that cool air) maybe a touch less?

Hello

Sorry to hear that RSpete. I wish I could advise you but I would recommend that you get your vehicle checked up. There is a great site called http://www.repairanycar.com/. It will introduce you to a network of acclaimed garages. Its just a question of typing your registration number.

Hope this helps

Seyi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom