W210 E300TD wont change up gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velo96

Car
mercedes w210 E300TD
Hi I have owned a w210 e300td 1997 for 3 years, for about 1 year when i go to take off with bit more throttle theres always a banging rattling noise coming from the rear, and a whinding noise when driving (both rear wheel bearings new) I havent looked into it that much as the car was sitting up for long time, I just started driving it about a month ago and now when i take off and use more throttle the abs,bas tc lights come on the dash the car wont shift up gears and a really bad smell from gearbox or diff, if i slow down to 10 mph then all light go off and it shifts normally if im driving slow, i dont know where to start looking as its my first automatic car would it be a diff fault or gearbox? what would be the cause. thanks

I’d be having a look at the impulse rings on the rear driveshafts, probably corroded, swollen or broken and when turning faster then the abs sensors won’t be detecting the wheel speed, causing the change problems.
As for the smell, look for any leaks dripping on to hot parts.

Thanks for the reply, however I have just done a gearbox oil change and filter and before I removed the oil I checked the dip stick and doesn't matter if the engine cold or hot the district always showed way above the max mark now after emptying the oil I have added 6liters (7.5L) recommended. Dip stick shows same way above max and when I put my foot down the oil comes out threw the dip stick if driving slowly it doesn't, seems like to much oil? But only put 6L in. Would there be something else wrong like oil pump.

Did you drain the torque converter? If not this may be why you over filled it.

That's the way it was before I changed oil for 2 years and no i haven't

Quick update i checked how much oil I removed was around 4L, so I empty all oil that I put in and only around 4L came out after me putting in 6 so must need to drain torque converter too, I just added 2L and now the dipstick is at max level when hot however the original fault it still here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom