W210 E320 CDI 2000 Alternator/Voltage Regulator problems - Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wd40

Hi folks

Back in January my car had an alternator failure. My local garage (non-MB) sent the alternator away for it to be refurbished/serviced.

It only took a month from giving it to them to getting it back.

It appeared to be fine, but I only do very limited miles in it. By that I mean in general, 8 miles to work, 8 miles back.

About a month ago on a longer journey it popped up an "overcharge" warning and the protection relay kicked in stopping some of the systems from working as I believe it is supposed to do.

Each journey since, after about 15 miles it pops up the warning and continues with it going off, then coming back on regularly. Stopping and leaving the car for a few hours results in it running ok for a time, then the same happening.

From what I have researched it will likely be the voltage regulator.

My local garage have had the car a month again and sent the alternator off again to eventually come to the conclusion it was the voltage regulator.

Should this have been replaced as part of the refurbishment in January? I have read that it is part of the alternator on some of the units but would like to get my facts straight before arguing the toss.

Should (after 6 months light use) I be faced with a bill for the voltage regulator when the alternator has been off the car and serviced? The work being guaranteed for 12 months.

What I do love about this garage is that they always go ahead with the work without asking if you would like them to once they have found the fault - i.e. no quote prior to work. They don't provide the advisory work slips for MOTs either.

Thanks for any info and help and indeed any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom