W210 E320 cdi engine and transmission problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EdvinasB

Car
[Ex]E430. E320cdi
Hi everyone, greetings from Lithuania. I'm new here and I've registered here cuz maybe you could help me!:)
So I have this 2000 E320 cdi who was sitting for a two months now and I'm deciding to keep it or to sell it. So it have couple problems. Here they are:

1. So when I came up to a car at used car dealership battery was dead. We had to plug it to start it up. It started properly everything was good. I drove a couple kilometers and bought it. I had 300 km to drive home. When I filled up diesel and drove into highway I noticed that there's something wrong with transmission. It felt like switched to Neutral but my lcd screen is broken so I didn't know what is showing. I stopped released the brakes and it was all good. So I drove it for a week and later I noticed other problems. When it is cold it shifts rougly from first to second gear. I can feel that shifting but it should be smooth. Once it stuck on third gear. After restarting the engine problem fixed. Also one day car was jerking. Like there would be no diesel but there was a full tank. Shifted to second gear and all good. So how to fix that problem?
2. When the engine is cold I can hear a whistle inside the car. And it's realy loud. It starts at 40 km/h. Then I always push the gas to 60-70km/h and when i release gas pedal it dissapears slowly when rpms fall down. When the engine is hot I haven't noticed that sound.
So I apologise for my bad english. Correct me if I have made mistakes. I hope you could understand what I wanted to say. If there's any questions just feel free to ask. I really hope you petrolheads could help me!. Have a nice day.

Oh I remembered another question. Does it have OBD II port? I've seen some videos of S210 wagon in usa and one man readed error codes with obd II scanner, but maybe european versions didn't have that?

Last edited:
Sounds like the battery is knackered this can cause all sorts of strange faults and the noise could be due to the fan belt slipping when cold after the 1st start, try charging the battery overnight or get the cells checked, that would be my 1st port of call.

Alfie

Hi ALFIEBEARD, thanks for your reply. I'm gonna do it ASAP. Do I have to delete codes after connecting the battery?

European W210s do not have an OBD11 port.

The rough change 1st to second when cold is normal. Best to use more throttle when cold...makes for a less jerky change.

When the gearbox fluids has been serviced? Worth to check oil level in any case, and then make change in company which flush it. At same time check that there is no oil leak in transmission plug/harness/ecu (new plug and seal recommended anyway).

Try locate the whistle source, is it whistling when revving stationary? Open bonnet and give some throttle by throttle cable lever. If it's coming from turbo, it may be worn but not too much yet. Then check that swirl flaps are working (is there oil on engine block under intake manifold?).

As mentioned, ensure the battery is good, if not replace it. ATF change will also do no harm and is probably overdue. Get all codes read, make a note of them, clear them, drive and see if any come back.

As for diagnostics, renault12ts is correct, you have a 38 pin socket under the bonnet

The sound is like someone is sitting in the car and whistling. I don't know if other can hear it from the outside. And it happens from 20 or 30 km/h and when I reach 60km/h I start to stop because of that noise. Once I stopped it never comes back. I will try to record it and upload to YT.

Well Hello again :rock:
So spring has come to Lithuania (I h8 winter) and after 4 months of not driving the Mercedes I decided finally to start it up! So I bought a new battery because the other one was a piece of sh!t :D It had no juice left.. Mercedes started on second attempt. I really thought that it would not be that easy. But I can't drive it because there's no vehicle inspection, my license plates ended back in december and no insurance. So it have to wait :D I asked my friend to do diagnostics and only 3 error codes appeared. Last time it showed a lot of error codes. Maybe the battery was causing it?? Also there was a lot of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. But I think after hard driving it should be gone. Here's a video I want to show you. I hope you could hear that noise. It's like sucking up air somewhere but I don't know where.... Anyone has any ideas??? Thanks a looooot!
https://youtu.be/uQhOYD7kMP4

Last edited:
Hello again. I have finally managed to drive my Merc. The transmission problem is gone. Well I hope so. I drove like 20km around the town and it shifted properly. Without putting it to neutral. But there's a lot of black smoke coming out. And my engine is oily. I need to check all hoses cuz I think there's a hole somewhere there. Also check the video and read the description. If you have any suggestions please leave a comment here or on youtube. Have a good day.
https://youtu.be/m63GKQWpb2c
Also I checked oil level when the engine was hot. Like 80C and it was above the max. I will check it again with cold engine..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom