w210 e320 cdi estate/sooty blackish smoke on acceleration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paultredgett

Car
Merc e320 w210 cdi estate.
Hi to everyone hope all is well!

I have had my car for a while now and haven't really put my foot down too much as I never felt the need to be honest however I got into a dual with an AUDI (non descript) this morning,he was up my tailgate so I thought I would show him some space,put my foot down (at approx early second gear) and let her fly! The AUDI I thought had been left for dust or so I thought until I looked in my rear view mirror,........loads of smoke, so much I couldn't see the AUDI anymore!

My car seems to be doing 125 miles to £23 pounds worth of Morrisons best which I approximate to be over 32 to the gallon,this is also stop start ish commuting.
She runs lovely in normal conditions, no smoke, no nothing, never misses a beat and uses no oil.

My question to all you learned chaps and chapesses is......have you any ideas what is causing the smoke on kickdown? once you have kicked down and it has done its smoke thing it gets better every time you do it after on the same run.
Could it be the egr valve needing cleaning?
Over filled with oil slightly?

198,000 miles with fsh and starts from cold with no smoke etc.

any ideas?
cheers,
Paul.......

Did you try it again after this...and did it do the same thing?

Hi,
After the first rapid acceleration it gets better each time you kick down but there is always some smoke.

You don't think it could be a breathing problem, maybe the egr etc choked up?

It kinda gets 125 miles through the week and then a bit at the weekends...at differing speeds (not clogging it), it doesent look exactly like black smoke, more sooty looking (lots of it!!) but no loss of any bodily fluids so have more or less figured out cylinder head or oil consumption.

Just sounds like standard diesel acceleration smoke lol.

I get the same with my CDI.

sounds normal for me too, long periods of fairly gently running, no smoke, then put foot down, quite a cloud behind me, uses no oil, great mpg, not nice to look at in rear view mirror but not sure if this is a problem.

Mine does the same on my E270cdi.

It's just clearing the Cat and exhaust on first blast, thought the Astramax van that made a 40 tonner disappear, last night, definitely had a smoking problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom