W210 E320 CDi Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gina2201

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
With the recent spot of luck of the Agila I am in a position where I can up my budget for a new vehicle. I understand the w210 estate has a huge boot capacity and the 320 CDi engine is possibly the best one to get. I have read 'honest john's' review and understand the radiator issue. Apart from the obvious - rust - what else should I be looking at?
I have seen what appears a good spec 2001 car, Avantgarde with FMBSH, Command, F/R Parking sensors etc etc and would like to know of anything I should be checking for in particular to these cars? (I say I - it would be Ian really...!)

Thank you in advance.

Rust.

Don't rule out the older 300 Turbo diesel, more "characterful" engine and very strong.

Alternatively, up the budget and consider the 211 car.

I had a 2001 320cdi, which I ran up to 180k. I have just read the Honest John review again, and was surprised to hear about the Valeo radiator problem, which I thought was a 211 problem. My car was from the years HJ mentions, and that problem did not arise. It was possibly my favourite car, and the only reason I got rid of it was because it was rusting everywhere. Apart from the rust, the only items outside of regular servicing were new glow plugs around 100k, new anti-roll bars also at 100k, a new thermostat at around 160k, and a new battery at about 175k. Not exactly a fault, but it did get through tyres at quite a rate, the reason for which I never discovered.

I have actually been looking at 210s again recently, as I fancy a cheap estate as a second car, and early 210s are actually cheaper than good late 124s. I have been surprised how many apparently rust-free examples I have seen. Now it may be that these have already rusted, and had it attended to, or possibly the pre-facelift ones did not suffer to the same extent? This was certainly the case with the 202 series c-class, with the later examples being just as rust-prone as the 210 e-class, whereas earlier examples were far more resistant. The 300 turbo diesels will be pre-facelift, whereas the 320cdi's will be post. Less economical, but possibly a more robust engine.

Last edited:
The glycol issue doesn't affect W210 series cars.
Look for poor starting due to worn injectors, compression blow-by due to lack of injector clamping force (pull the engine cover off to look), sticky EGR valve causing limp-home mode, general but obvious gearbox maladies and rust.

Rust is by far the biggest problem on a W210, check door tops under the rubbers (pull them right back), front spring cups to inner wing, front and rear arches, front subframe closing plate, general under-body rust, front tyres worn on the inside indicates either worn springs or worn out wishbone bushes (both pretty cheap).

W210 320 Cdi seem to be more robust than W211 cars, but for cheap running you really can't beat a 300TD..obviously an older car though.

Either way go for an Avantgarde, an Elegance is just too soft.

Estates have SLS on the rear so no dampers, but the front ones can wear out as can the rear spheres.
A bouncy/crashy back end means flat spheres.

W210 are very durable cars, especially pre-facelift ones.

Thanks the car "I" found for Gina does look extremely clean but pictures don't always tell a true story. It is an avantgarde model and hopefully turns out as clean as it looks.

We may be an all E class family in a minute as I have just sold my Golf R32 and there is an W211 E55 AMG for sale close to us and I want to take it for a test drive tomorrow :devil:

Its not the spec I am after but I think I need to get over the shock of the amount power available... :eek:

Its not the spec I am after but I think I need to get over the shock of the amount power available... :eek:

After an R32...you'd be more accustomed to a 220cdi...

Even a 350cdi puts that to shame... :D

Goluf sport mobile..

Engine Size 3189 cc
Cylinders 6
0-60 mph 6.3 s
Power Output 246 bhp
Valves 24
Torque 320 Nm 236 lb-ft
Top Speed 155 mph

old mans car..

Engine Size 2987 cc
Cylinders 6
0-60 mph 6.0 s
Power Output 261 bhp
Valves 24
Torque 620 Nm 457 lb-ft
Top Speed 155 mph

Last edited:
Lol it is scary how fast some diesels are now. I have been in a remapped 335d and that was seriously quick! Massive amounts of torque.

You still cant get away from the fact they don't sound as nice as their petrol counterparts and for me that is a big part of the driving experience. But yeh the r32 was not the fastest car in the world but was a great car to drive everyday but time to move onto something a bit more grown up lol.

The e55k will be brilliant, and not much worse on fuel than the golf.

Is that the latest E350cdi specs. The shed is a slug, a mere 6.7 secs to 60 and 155mph top speed. And I have done it....

W210 rust:

Check the following:

Front wings where they meet the bumper.

All wheel arches.

Each side of the car behind the rear bumper.

Front cross member.

Tops of all doors under the rubbers.

Tailgate.

Bonnet.

That's all.

I have seen what appears a good spec 2001 car, Avantgarde with FMBSH, Command, F/R Parking sensors etc etc and would like to know of anything I should be checking for in particular to these cars?

Rust, rust and rust.

Plus the problem that W210 are heading to that time when they are just old scrap cars, so don't pay a fortune for one.

Can you stretch to a W211?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom