W210 E320 CDI Fuel System questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
Got a big question about the part No A613 070 21 32.

It's basically the part of the fuel system going from the high pressure fuel pump to the top fuel pump.

The fuel line runs dangerously cloes to the fan belt... so dangerously close that this afternoon i got a diesel headache and smoke pouring out of the engine bay whilst sat at traffic lights.

I'm considering running a custom braided fuel line over rather than under the fuel pump.

Anything i would probably regret before proceeding?

The pipe does run very close to the belt and todays burst will have taken a long time to occur. It is common though.
My original pipe hadn't failed but was badly scuffed, so when I fitted a new pipe, I cable-tied it to one of the other pipes to gain an extra 1mm or so clearance.

A braided pipe would only have to be marginally thicker to cause problems, so I'd say the answer would be to fit an original pipe and tie it back to gain the desired clearance.

"Cakeman", are you saying it burst? And if so, the smoke was the fuel on a hot engine?

"Cakeman", are you saying it burst? And if so, the smoke was the fuel on a hot engine?

Ha ha, yes that's exactly what happened. I mean, if it had been petrol instead of the oily stuff, i'd have been screwed.Fortunately, unlike in hollywood, Trucks etc don't explode when they come into contact with anything warmer than sunlight, as we all know due to diesel being, well, a bit of a bugger to light. but you're right, it potentially is very blooming hazardous. I think what made it worse is that the leak was a) jetting towards the front of the engine, resulting in a nice distribution by the fan blade, and b) that it was rubbing on the v-belt, which i no longer trust now it's been soaked in diesel for quite possibly a day or two, knowing how fuel likes to eat anything not specifically designed to repel it. so a v-belt change is on the cards today too. And as you mentioned with diesel going all over, it's not just combustion worries, but where the misty smoking diesel is getting in the engine bay, corroding the hell out of stuff on a molecular level.

A braided pipe would only have to be marginally thicker to cause problems, so I'd say the answer would be to fit an original pipe and tie it back to gain the desired clearance.

"So you're telling me there's a chance!" to quote the film Dumb and Dumber. There's no actual reason why the fuel line goes under the fuel pump then, other than efficiency of materials, design etc? I was thinking that as you said, clearance would be an issue, so that's why i am considering running a longer line around the front of the engine, or over the top even, would be better, thereby avoiding the v-belt area altogether.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly i guess.

as you mentioned with diesel going all over, it's not just combustion worries, but where the misty smoking diesel is getting in the engine bay, corroding the hell out of stuff on a molecular level.

Surely a coating of diesel will stop corrosion, not accelerate it.

which explains why i'm known as cakeman and you are dieselman. I was led to believe all fuels are corrosive by nature, even understanding (or rather misunderstanding) the oily base of diesel.

Well, learning something new every day. I even love it when my car breaks cos i learn stuff. See this is something my missus doesn't get.

New fuel line going on as soon as i've had my cup of tea, btw.

"So you're telling me there's a chance!" to quote the film Dumb and Dumber. There's no actual reason why the fuel line goes under the fuel pump then, other than efficiency of materials, design etc? I was thinking that as you said, clearance would be an issue, so that's why i am considering running a longer line around the front of the engine, or over the top even, would be better, thereby avoiding the v-belt area altogether.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly i guess.

"I'm considering running a custom braided fuel line over rather than under the fuel pump".

Or maybe I didn't read you post thoroughly... :rolleyes: :eek:

I suppose if you can route a longer pipe properly, then why not.

When replacing my pipes, I saw the scuffing and wasn't comfortable with that so cable-tied which doubled the clearance to a massive 1.5mm. :p

Job done, no clearance issues, fitted with Goodyear 5.6mm braided fuel injection hose, 900 psi fail rating. System won't get close to that, the high pressure not being till closer to the injectors I'm told. Took it on a run. So far so good.

Will keep updated before recommending the mod should it be required by any diy-er.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110731_121150.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110731_121150.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20110731_121228.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110731_121228.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 74
  • ForumRunner_20110731_121302.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110731_121302.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 73
Hi I know this is an old post but did this rubber hose solution work? I have spent hours trying to get the correct new hoses to sit a safe distance from the belt, this looks a better idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom