W210 E320 CDi MAF + smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
" However - I have now noticed a different slight " knocking" type noise at tickover which dissappears when I rev slightly.
( Will start new thread on this subject rather than hi-hack yours.) "
Had a similar noise on mine - really noisy tickover - turned out to be the belt tensioner damper - £30 + quid and now much quieter :D :bannana:

Any chance of a picture of the rubber coupling/gromet? I'm not sure what I'm looking for really. Thanks.

DrNick said:
That because there probably is! On my 99 E300 the rubber coupling/grommet that covers the steering column had a hole in one side, and this lets noise in. As you turn the wheel the grommet turns and doesn't let so much though. You can see this item under the bonnet where the steering column enters the engine bay. I stuffed a sock in mine! Peel back the carpet in the drivers footwell and this should give access. If the noise goes away/is reduced then a new coupling is the answer

Ive had tinkling noises from other diesels Ive owned (notMB) and when I changed to a different fuel station the noise subsided. I dont use Woolies fuel anymore ..

Bazzle

A-haaaa!! You were right. I can't actually see a hole but could hear noise from this area. I've stuffed a rag in the grommet thingy (it's a sort of shaft) and the noise has gone!!! Yeeeeee-haaaaaaa.

Many, many thanks.

DrNick said:
That because there probably is! On my 99 E300 the rubber coupling/grommet that covers the steering column had a hole in one side, and this lets noise in. As you turn the wheel the grommet turns and doesn't let so much though. You can see this item under the bonnet where the steering column enters the engine bay. I stuffed a sock in mine! Peel back the carpet in the drivers footwell and this should give access. If the noise goes away/is reduced then a new coupling is the answer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom