w210 e320 cdi non starter - will not turn over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shane lynch

Car
2000 e320 cdi estate, 1996 c250 TD
My problem is my e320 cdi 2000 reg will not turn over. I insert the key, turn to position 1 all ok, turn to position 2 and all looks ok but the glow plug light does not illuminate although all other lights do, then finally turn to start it up and silence, nothing.

I have read many posts on here and have tried a few things, brand new battery, jump lead from engine to bodywork, checked the fuses. I have also unplugged what I think is the cooling fan - two small connectors with blue/green wires inside the air con box on nearside.

When this connector is unplugged, I switch to position 2 on ignition and now 5 malfunctions are on display - ABS, EBD, Traction etc. Also the glow plug light lights up and stays on. As you look at the front of the car, the right hand fan starts to turn. However it still does not start when I turn the key. If I plug the connector back together the malfunctions disappear as does the glow plug light like before.

I have tried the spare key, tried to start in neutral but no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks

Have you checked the starter motor and relay?

not properly had a look as its very hard to get to. I have hit it a few time with an iron bar incase it was jammed, it is near the bulkhead I presume. When you turn the key the glowplug light should light up to warm the plugs but this is not even coming on. I would love it to be a mechanical fault but have the feeling its electrical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom