w210 e320 cdi running biodiesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icedillon

Wandering if anybody running bio on their cdi like me can give me some feedback, I have been running it for about 1000 miles (done 86k) and I think that has maybe been the cause of my lumpy idle at times? I have changed an injector with slight improvements but starting from cold is an issue (however not in my 316 cdi with 20k on biodiesel) giving lumpiness until you take off. A motorway blast coming to idle is also more lumpy. What I have discovered is that it will eventually get smooth running after 30 secs to a minute but is should be instant really. I am thinking that bio has started to dislodge impurities/gum on the injectors/rails etc.

Also wandering if a egr valve staying open may do this as I am led to beleive that recirculating gexghaust gases with reduce combustion air available on idle. I have cleaned it but notice that turbo take a while to come on but spinning madly like wastegate open.

Any ideas?

personally i wouldnt touch a common rail derv with biofuel seen a few through the garage and it aint pretty, i'd put her back on pure derv and run an injector cleaner through the system

I produce it and have been for about 3 years, if you make it of good quality you shouldn't really have a problem provided the pump is a bosch

one in particular was a tdci fiesta, was on bio derv, hole system full of sludge, had to replace pump, injectors etc,,, i had run a few of my cars that had normal diesel injection and they went well but just wouldnt take a chance with anything common rail

personally i wouldnt touch a common rail derv with biofuel seen a few through the garage and it aint pretty, i'd put her back on pure derv and run an injector cleaner through the system

As above, i would never attempt to run a CDI engine on biofuel...........i suspect the lubrication qualities of bio would be inadequate and cause premature wear of the components......

Has anybody ever posted failure of running bio on a cdi?? I was wandering whether there is somebody on this forum hwo has been using it as long as I have.

Hi chaps, i have been wondering about using 100% bio in my vito 111 people i ask seem to think there will be no problems as bio made properly is better than pump derv ? for lubrication, the only problem is that it clears out all the crap in the tank and fuel lines and the filter will need changing soon after starting to use it,

the pump may be a problem if it contains rubber seals, new pumps usualy have zeton (not sure of the spelling) seals which is not affercted by bio.

it may be worth changing your fuel filter so you know there are no restrictions

hope this helps, ill keep you posted on the vito on bio

the pump may be a problem if it contains rubber seals, new pumps usualy have zeton (not sure of the spelling) seals which is not affercted by bio.

Viton.

Garages will report problems running cars on alternative fuels as they only see the 'bad' ones, there is no reason for them to see a good running cars on alternative fuels.

A good site with loads of info is http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/

I have run my 2001 e320 on 90/100 percent Biodiesel for over 2 years 20/30K miles. I make bio myself at a cost of 16 pence a litre. Ive had no engine problems or car problems at all!!!! About once a year the computer comes up with about 4 dire engine faults requiring me to morage the house and take the car to the main dealer. This is fixed by changing the fuel filter £6.90............Diesel engines were orginally designed to run on veg oil, a main deal engineer tells me a W210 will run on anything since they do all over the world!!!!

you need to visit Using Vegetable oil as a diesel fuel forums

just to point out (as the above post didnt state) - a W210 will only run on neat veg oil on the earlier OM606 engines.... and even then requires the owner to be clue'd up.... ;)

How do you make it? Sounds very interesting.
There is a huge difference between Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) and Biodiesel; all diesels at the pumps now contain a percentage of Biodiesel.
WVO is cleaned used oil that will be naturally acid, may contain some water and will be more viscous that mineral diesel. The acid can cause damage to your pumps and engine; the increased viscosity can also cause damage. It is difficult to run a modern car on pure WVO. Most people using WVO mix it with something else i.e. mineral diesel or they install a second fuel tank running the car on WVO when hot.
Biodiesel is produced from WVO by neutralizing the acidity and making the oil less viscous. I have built a steel reactor (people sell them on Ebay) It costs about 16pence a litre for me to make and I produce 100litres per batch. I have a number of friends and Pub Landladies who save me the WVO so it costs little or nothing. Under government regulations each individual is allowed to produce 2500litres of biodiesel free of tax, if you produce it to use for your business or to sell it you may be subject to tax. However most of the taxis in Lincoln run on biodiesel and I suspect they pay no tax or duty.
The car runs on 100% biodiesel in the summer during cold weather I add mineral diesel in order to reduce the viscosity and improve the anti freeze properties.
The car has run on biodiesel for 3 years and covered about 40K miles. I have had no problems at all! An estimated saving of £4500.
There is risk attached to running on WVO and Biodiesel, however life is a continuous risk.

Biodiesel

Hi Peter, wondering if you can help with a bit of advice as you seem to be doing exactly what I want to do.
I had a Merc E320 CDI before and loved it to pieces. Unfortunately fuel costs forced me to change vehicle. BUT - i am just getting rigged up to make biodiesel out of used or neat veg oil. I am just a beginner but hope to become proficient at it and begin doing it regularly for all my fuel needs.

I want/need an E320 again as I need the 7 seat version due to having a new baby now. Although saying that I think there is a 7 seat version of the E300D but I can't seem to find any. Basically i need a 7 seater, motorway mile muncher built by merc and as large as possible. On top of that, the important bit is, I need it to run on home made Biodiesel. Do you know which models I should consider? My favourite is the E320 CDI and I can probably afford something built around 2001-2003. Is it safe to run home made biodiesel in these? I don't want to knacker the car, and i have heard a mixture of "experts" saying it will ruin the engine, but then a number of normal people doing it without damaging anything.

Really is a big dilemma for me, I MUST run BIO, and I MUST have a Merc if i possibly can!

Hope you can shed some light on this for me.
Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom