W210 E320 CDI - smokey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackscooby

Car
W203 C32 AMG, Honda VFR Vtec, Peugeot 205 GTi rally car
Folks,

Could do with a bit of advice on what to check.
Currently got my Dads E320 CDI (1999). Now it's a bit on the leggy side, but I've driven it quite a bit. Dad warned me that it's got a bit smokey.

Now really that was somewhat of an understatement.
My observations :-
1) Smoke on initial throttle press, chuffs out a black cloud. Quite a significant cloud really.
2) Feels flat initially. Gutless almost. You can't get away quickly
3) Poor MPG

I can hear the turbo spool up, and then it puts out a rather large puff of smoke. It does appear to clear as the revs continue and once round the rev counter the car picks up nicely. However it seems to have lost it's low down torque.

I can only think that it's smoking heavily due to an air leak in the I/C piping resulting in too much fuel for the air.

Can anyone think of any other reason ?

Thanks

i would check the air filter first? sounds like it's a bit clogged

This was replaced last week - in an attempt to cure the smoker... and yes it was disgusting, but the smoke still persists.

There is a guage on the side which displays the cloggedness( ! )

Darn, I bet that was nudged when I was cleaning the dash the other week, along with the headlight beam adjuster which means I can now pick out 747's at 10 000 ft :doh:

Ive had a similar problem. Get it put onto diagnostics. Check for EGR function, there is a check on STAR that allows you to open and close the EGR valve, ir its functioning correctly you should see a significant change in the Air flow reading.

A cheap solution may be too put redex in the tank. It has worked in a number of cars for me, and I have never had injectors worked on or replaced on cars well over 100k miles old.

I'll try some derv cleaner stuff as mentioned earlier. Might be some "generic" Derv cleaner from Halfords tonight. If I can give it back less smokey then great. It really doesn't get any miles when Dad has it... so this week it will get 300 or so. Hopefully clean out any muck !

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom