w210 e320 cdi turbo noises

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icedillon

Another problem to add aswell as the newly discovered brake sensor issues I have is this:

turbo makes a howling sound at revs up to 2000rpm both on and off the pedal (sounds like a police car). Ok so its spooling, never heard it before but most noticeable in mornings. Also I here a consecutive( scrape scrape scrape) sound occasionaly on low revs and it sounds like a flap maybe opening and closing like the wastegate maybe? Kick of turbo is also more noticeable after 2000. Noises below 2000 sounding like leaking or tv noise on a blank channeel (sshhhhhh). No pipes are leaking pressure and the car does deliver full power although I think power curve may have changed. Any ideas??

Non of these symptoms were there a couple of weeks ago.

You must have an air leak from one of the turbo hoses iirc member on here recently had similiar prob and was hose collapsing inside.
Pic of hose same prob from my old disco looked fine from outside, common hoses are the ones coming out of the turbo and the ones near the egr valve.

Lynall

Last edited:
Checked the hoses, power is also all there however now noticed that turbo spools up all at once, like the waste gate is being lazy and flap closes all of a sudden so boost not as progressive as it used to be

Turbo wastegate is perm closed and only opens when max boost pressure is reached.
Search on here for flaps or inlet flaps.

Lynall

I've just changed the inlet flap motor and overhauled the manifold along with EGR so I doubt its that

reading up on this I have discovered that these vehicles S210 e320 cdi don't have wastegates but variable vanes?

Thats a vnt turbo unit again do a google as the vanes stick especially on vw engines can be stripped at home and cleaned out.

Again google vnt turbo there was a link somewhere where a guy stripped one down and showed you how all with lots of pics:thumb:

Ussually seize in high boost position then when you floor it turbo overboosts engine sensrs see this and stick engine into limp home mode.

Worth a look at a couple of vw forums.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom