W210 E320CDI gearbox speed sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercedesstar

Car
S320Cdi
Hi all
Just had my car serviced today. B service, at a Mercedes garage. It came through with a clean bill of health apart from a faultcode, not told what the code is and didn`t ask either, which said the speed sensor in the gearbox is faulty. They quoted £485 to change. I have had problems with it being stuck in second, twice it has done it, wouldn`t even let me select manually. Once it wouldn`t drive at all. When I booked it in for a service I asked for the gearbox fluid and filters to be changed, but they said it was fine, colour consistency and grade was fine as was the level in the gearbox. Just looking for your respected opinions, should I have it done and is it a reasonable price? Should I get a second opinion?

Many thanks in advance
Martin

Just spoken to a Mercedes garage nearer me, they quoted me nearly £900 to change it!!!

Mercedesstar said:
Just spoken to a Mercedes garage nearer me, they quoted me nearly £900 to change it!!!

We do it for about £500-550.

So Mercedes @ Hertford offering to do it for under 500 all in is not a bad deal then. And by the sounds of it is the problem. Thank you all. Great help.

That does actually seem very cheap for a dealer price. Is that a fully fitted price to me it seems just the labour as they will charge around 3 hours for it.

Just had it done today. The fault was discovered last Weds when I took the car in for a service at Hertford Mercedes. He gave me a price then to have it done for £438 all in. I wasnt able to have it done then so he typed the offer on the bill and said I could book it in anytime. I checked with Peterborough Mercedes, they quoted me nearly £900, I checked price of sensor from them and it came out at £250, which was when I realised what a good offer it was from Hertford. I rang them late Thursday, and got the car booked in for this aftenoon 2pm. They had estimated 2 hours, but as you say,Andy, it was more like 3 1/2 hours. The quote was £438,78, but he charged me £438 straight. I drove it 80ish miles back, and first impression is top job. Gearbox is sweet.

Just had a proper read of the actual bill. It states on it " Electrohydraulic control unit for automatic transmission remove/install and , if necessary, replace vehicle with transmission 722.6". Not entirely sure what to make of it. My car is a 2/12 1999 W210 E320 CDI. Would that not have 722.6? Or does it mean replace the gearbox if the electrohydraulic control unit didn`t work?

You have the 722.6. I suspect they left out a comma after the word replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom