W210 E320cdi, worth restoring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coneybiller

Car
'06 W211 E320CDI OM648
Well I've been thinking about the above question for a while now. I love my car, but as it gets older, its wanting more and more TLC. I travel 150 miles per day back and forth to work from Cheltenham to Reading and the mileage racks up fast. I spent £1900 on the car and probably around £1500 so far replacing parts here and there.
Now in 3 years time (when my current loan finishes), I have the choice of buying a new(er) car, or spending the money on restoring the old girl.

30k per year (give or take) is too many miles to be able to justify leasing a car and by the time I've spent 12 - 15k on a car, in 3 years time its lost a shed load of value and I have to stump up yet more cash to buy another car!

So, is doing a partial restoration job (Engine, gearbox/drive-line, suspension and get the outside looking as pristine as poss) going to be worth it?

Any thoughts?

What kind of miles are on her just now? How long have you had it? If you buy a new car .. you're starting again only on a later model..I spoke to a bimmer dealer a long time ago that says most owners just get servicing done but if it requires anything else it just gets left as its too expensive... dunno if that applies to Merc or not but it is a thought...

Depends on how un-rusty yours is.
Take off the sill covers and the rear bumper to see these hidden areas.

Work out what needs doing, do it only when you need to and run the car as long as you can. I'd avoid spending anything serious on cosmetics as it will be wasted.

Mine is still going 'strong' at least three years beyond when I first considered replacing it as it just persists, and our annual mileage isn't that high.

I have 145k miles up now and most recent investment was in a blown head gasket last year. The car is now telling me through the noises it makes that front brakes and soft tissue in the front suspension area need some attention and so it will be needing a further investment soon.

I've given up on the bodywork - rust will eventually get it but it's not too bad, and looks very well for its age. Keep the oily bits going and it will continue to be a pleasure to drive as mine is. Part of me wants to get an impractical and fun replacement but still keep the old girl going for those trips where the cavernous boot is required.

Keep up to date with the rust and maybe buy a cheap spares car on the side. I keep my 210 e320 cdi's for daily use monday to friday and enjoy the others on the weekends!

Mine is on around 206k and would be a lot higher if I did similar miles to around 2 years ago. The rust isn't that bad, engine is solid minus a couple of minor things that need sorting but all in all should keep going. When the MOT man tells me there is a big bill within the next 12 months then I will probably replace it

The first thing I look at with any MB for sale is the state of the net in the passenger footwell...and this one is as bad as any I've seen. It's a small item...but nearly always missed.

The net on the front pass foot well? Why would you look at this lol? (for info, mine is in good nick haha).

Shes on 165k now, Ive replaced:
1 x injector (so far)
All plastic fuel pipes
uprated leak-off pipes
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Viscous fan
Water pump
Belt tensioner + idler pulleys and belt
Steering rack + track rod ends + tracking
Front springs
Front shocks
Lower ball joints
Front discs and pads
Rear discs and pads (sat on my table currently, awaiting fitment)
Thermostat (also sat on my table, awaiting fitment)
Major service (oil+filter, air filter, pollen filter)
New wheels (due to 2 old 1's being cracked and leaking)
4 tyres
Gearbox oil and filter (needs doing again and proper flush realistically)

Gearbox is a bit ropey but still works and no limp mode (yet).

Rust wise, without taking the sill trims and bumpers off, it looks to be OK, front spring perches are perfect. The only rust issue I have is on the drivers door pillar, a bubble of about 50mm under the patterned trim by the window. Other than that, looks to be OK. She has various dings and dents and scratches but nothing too bad (apart from a dent on the roof which i never noticed until I'd exchanged my money)! The underside is pretty clean, but the front bumper has seen better days. Looks like someones rammed it into a curb at some point in its life, as the lower rad cross-member was bent back and the fan shroud was rubing on the A/C pulley (which I've "Unbent") and the front bumper wants replacing. Chassis is straight though with no signs of repair!

I've got to keep it in a good state of repair for 3 years before making my decision. My Mrs isn't happy that I've spent so much money on it in 10 months of ownership. My issue is with the amount of money I will loose in buying another car, racking up the miles in 3 years and loosing shed loads of money. Example - I bought a Lexus GS450h, it was 4 years old with 95k on the clock and cost me £12k. 3 years later I sold it with 167k on the clock for £3450 (mainly desperation as I was buying a house and needed more economy). I know its more of a niche car, but I dont want to go down the same route. I generally have expensive taste and like as many of the option boxes to be ticked as possible on whatever I buy. Hence why I like my car at the mo, it has most options, its fairly frugal and has power when needed! Parts are relatively cheap but I would like it in a better condition where I don't want to worry about fixing it every 5 mins!
That's where my dilemma comes in. New car and loose money or old and spend money and keep it for years!

Last edited:
The first thing I look at with any MB for sale is the state of the net in the passenger footwell...and this one is as bad as any I've seen. It's a small item...but nearly always missed.

I know what you mean, it looks tacky.

- Net has been used and over stretched
- Net is damaged
- Net is not seated correctly because the owner has randomly fitted it back on
- Items left in the net
- Net is missing
- Missing hook fixtures

Personally, I never leave items in there for a long period as I hate the over stretched look. Currently mine looks new and unused.

Last edited:
This one is nice but is AMG money for a bodykit and wheels

Mercedes E320 cdi amg w210 e55 amg spec estate | eBay

That is very nice, but as you say a bit of an unreasonable price. Mine has the same options minus the sat nav (which I didn't particularly want anyway, considering I have an aftermarket HU which I plug my phone into for google maps!) Wooden tipped steering wheel (which I love), the nice dark wood and electric memory, air bolstered seats (which partially work lol).

I'm having the same Dilemma with my W140 S280, she's a beautiful car, and pleasure to drive., but went through a phase of snapping driveshafts. I've had her parked up since 2011.. I spent about £2k on top of the purchase price, putting thing right. Apart from the mint 1990's AMG alloys, I don't won't to scrap her. Especially after doing the same with a w114 and 115 I owned in the early 90's. About 3years after she who is always right murdered them there Value went through the roof[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The net on the front pass foot well? Why would you look at this lol? (for info, mine is in good nick haha).

1 x injector (so far)
All plastic fuel pipes
uprated leak-off pipes
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Viscous fan
Water pump
Front springs
Front shocks
Lower ball joints
Front discs and pads
4 tyres

Rust wise, without taking the sill trims and bumpers off, it looks to be OK, front spring perches are perfect. The only rust issue I have is on the drivers door pillar, a bubble of about 50mm under the patterned trim by the window. Other than that, looks to be OK. She has various dings and dents and scratches but nothing too bad (apart from a dent on the roof which i never noticed until I'd exchanged my money)! The underside is pretty clean, but the front bumper has seen better days. Looks like someones rammed it into a curb at some point in its life, as the lower rad cross-member was bent back and the fan shroud was rubing on the A/C pulley (which I've "Unbent") and the front bumper wants replacing. Chassis is straight though with no signs of repair!

I've got to keep it in a good state of repair for 3 years before making my decision. My Mrs isn't happy that I've spent so much money on it in 10 months of ownership. My issue is with the amount of money I will loose in buying another car, racking up the miles in 3 years and loosing shed loads of money. Example - I bought a Lexus GS450h, it was 4 years old with 95k on the clock and cost me £12k. 3 years later I sold it with 167k on the clock for £3450 (mainly desperation as I was buying a house and needed more economy). I know its more of a niche car, but I dont want to go down the same route. I generally have expensive taste and like as many of the option boxes to be ticked as possible on whatever I buy. Hence why I like my car at the mo, it has most options, its fairly frugal and has power when needed! Parts are relatively cheap but I would like it in a better condition where I don't want to worry about fixing it every 5 mins!
That's where my dilemma comes in. New car and loose money or old and spend money and keep it for years!

I have a 210 320cdi resto thread on 't'other side'. It's not very popular.
The major impediment is the lack of DIY diagnostics. One needs an old multiplexer and clone carsoft 7.4 set up.

Unlike a 211 and a cheap and easy iCarsoft980 hand held.

I'm just intrigued really. I know the cars probably never going to worth serious money, but surely spending 6-7k on making everything new again will make it last for years and years and it'll be cheaper than buying a newer model that'll eventually degrade and cost me a lot of money. On top of the purchase price!
It's a big car which is perfect for my family and my commute! 40mpg and possibly a remap when it's all tickaty boo, meaning it keeps up with any modern car and still has it's retro hearse looks!
In my head it makes sense, but does it really????

Probably not.
If you did it all yourself as a hobby maybe, but getting professional to make 'as new' would cost much more, I reckon.

You may commit to keep it for years but I think others will conspire against these Euro 2 diesels.
As you know, there's a lot of electrical modules to pack up as well.

Get the body looking tidy-ish, then commit to £1K a year for fixing what breaks?

1 x injector (so far)
All plastic fuel pipes
uprated leak-off pipes
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Viscous fan
Water pump
Front springs
Front shocks
Lower ball joints
Front discs and pads
4 tyres

Let me know if you need a gearbox , I bought a e320cdi as a donor car for parts to finish my 55 .
It drove beautiful and faultless it has covered 125k .
I own a couple of nice cars but none of them compares with my old W210 ,I'd keep it if I was you.

I guess that you need to determine if your running costs + restoration costs exceed running costs + depreciation on a newer car. I think it would depend on whether you can DIY much of the work.

I have possible access to a ramp every now and then when it's free, so I can do some jobs at a time. I'm a qualified mechanic (I don't work on cars any more though) so I can do all jobs apart from bodywork, (depending on use of the ramp of course).
There are a lot of electrics to potentially play up, but they can be tackled as and when they arise.
My main concerns:

Engine - Injectors, Turbo, fuel pump, timing chain tensioner and possibly the chain itself for peace of mind (bearing in mind it'll be around 250k at this point) Exhaust system, maybe stainless. Replace hoses and vacuum pipes and possibly ditch the viscous fan seeing as it's power and economy sapping!

Gearbox - Full rebuild, clutch packs, pump etc

Differential - Remove/Inspect replace parts if necessary

Suspension - Replace everything. Subframe bushes, arms etc etc. All OEM parts

Bodywork - Dings, dents and scratches sorted, new bumpers and look into respray (depending on price and funds at this point)

Audio System - Upgrade, Upgrade, Upgrade (this has already begun :D)

I can't see why the first 4 areas on my list will cost more than £6-7k. I think the most expensive thing on the list, is the gearbox rebuild! But then it's the most essential part of the driveline and having it new again will be amazing!

It is hard to justify it I know, but to replace it for a newer model, It'll have to have all the bells and whistles and it'll cost a fortune to maintain because of this! I'm very fussy and strive to have the best when it comes to cars, hence my cautiousness in spending silly money for it to loose shed loads + maintenance!

Something like an S212 350cdi 7 seater appeals, but will they last the test of time? Seeing as I'll be buying outside of warranty, how much is that going to cost to keep on the road?

So you spend all that money and a week later you need a new wiring loom, or a new ecu, you will feel a bit ill.

From speaker to a head tech at Mercedes, he reckons that the 212 is going back to 124 quality for reliability, especially suspension etc. etc.

I would guess the real saving for a car you keep 'forever' though would be a 212 E500, not sure if I would want to run a really modern diesel for 200k miles and more importantly 15 years old etc.
Then you have the E350 cgi, which is what I have, even that with its direct injection system I don't expect to be problem free.

Would I spend £7k n your car? No way!
Selll it for £1500 and put the £7k into am S212. For £10k you can be in an S212 with 75k miles on it. That gives you 4 years before you hit 200k, and doing 30k miles a year it will have a fairly easy life.

It doesn't matter how much you change on yours, there is still loads in that that at 20 years old will start to fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom