w210 e55 amg acceleration issues and kick down issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st6phen

Car
w210 e55 amg
hi folks, new member here.. just bought my self another w210 e55 amg, after selling my bmw 635csi - now the car had been locked away in previous owners lockup (he's in spain most of time). Battery was completely and utterly dead, and the guy who fired it up for me had jump started it. it was laboring like a sick pig - so i told him to charge battery fully and id come back - back 3 days later, fired her up and purring like a kitten - now i never really shoed the car until i got her home to be inspected by mechanic first, but once he checked oils etc. i took her out for the obligatory blast - now unfortunately, blasting is impossible, when it is shoed into kick down, it doesn't kick down, it hesitates severely, sort of at about 4 thousand revs, and jumps back and forward - drives completely normally if i drive it like im going to bingo, but lets face it how much use is that? my question is would the long term of the battery being flat cause some sort of loss of throttle memory or something? also when you rev the car and its sitting stationary, it also limts out at 4000 revs? any help would be fantastic... thank you in advance guys..

Probably suffered the problem before it was left parked up, an air mass sensor will sort it out no doubt.

i love these cars their grrrrrreat !

got myself a 98 e55 had it for about 8 years got the engine and box out in my workshop giving it an overhaul for the long term at the moment.

I personally would get it on a star machine - if it has had an undervoltage to the gearbox it may need have gone into limp mode and change the battery - esp if its been standing.

The air flow sensor does not store a fault code if faulty and they are bloody expensive but they do give problems. And the symptoms your experiencing do point at that but check the above first.

( check the air filters are not clogged up ) if they are be warned if you change them it can blow your air flow sensor.

i love these cars their grrrrrreat !

got myself a 98 e55 had it for about 8 years got the engine and box out in my workshop giving it an overhaul for the long term at the moment.

I personally would get it on a star machine - if it has had an undervoltage to the gearbox it may need have gone into limp mode and change the battery - esp if its been standing.

The air flow sensor does not store a fault code if faulty and they are bloody expensive but they do give problems. And the symptoms your experiencing do point at that but check the above first.

( check the air filters are not clogged up ) if they are be warned if you change them it can blow your air flow sensor.

Thanks guys, going to get it plugged into star and replace both sensors anyway, will keep you updated on what the result is. great to be back in a merc again.... talk soon folks!!

And very important check the front suspension spring mountings that on the inner wing - with the wheels off.
Check where they are welded to the body - they rust and break off causing the front spring to come flying out - very dangerous.

Look very closely if there is any rust - change them

I had one break on me on a e430 the spring came flying out, it scared the life out of me and my o/s is literally hanging off.

They are only £20 each from mercs but you have to weld them on and you need a special tool to remove the spring.

My C55 did exactly the same. Check that the MAF is correctly seated and sealed on the block.

If all good I would replace it. Mine was not fully clipped home. With air box off give it a good wiggle. It should be tight to the engine.

And very important check the front suspension spring mountings that on the inner wing - with the wheels off.
Check where they are welded to the body - they rust and break off causing the front spring to come flying out - very dangerous.

Look very closely if there is any rust - change them

I had one break on me on a e430 the spring came flying out, it scared the life out of me and my o/s is literally hanging off.

They are only £20 each from mercs but you have to weld them on and you need a special tool to remove the spring.

thankfully, the only thing i checked the car thoroughly for was rust - guy had a lift in his lock up - car has none of the usual rust issues - when you have restored a 30 year old bmw 635csi, you become rust obsessed

defo an air flow prob ... on the older car, rev flat spots largely down to vacuum air leak

The ECU prevents the engine from revving over 4000 rpm when in P or N. Car has been sitting - I would change the fuel filter and the fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom