W210 E55 AMG - drivetrain wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fishmk1

Car
E55 AMG (W210) '98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Gc9P7WwdI

You can see it down the long straight after Eau Rouge, it’s most noticeable around 0m50s (and each subsequent lap).

Oscillation builds up under constant linear acceleration, not necessarily on full throttle.

Can’t feel it through steering wheel at all. So not front wheels.

Can’t feel it through my backside either. So not rear wheels.

Can feel it in the floor through the soles of my feet. Feels like propshaft or transmission. Something Is moving and under load it starts to build up through oscillation and increases. As soon as you close the throttle, the oscillation dies away almost immediately. So I’m assuming it’s drivetrain.

Possible causes:
Universal joint worn in propshaft
Propshaft carrier worn (under front seats)
Torque converter loose / worn / whatever it is they do (first automatic I’ve owned, forgive my ignorance)
Engine mounts (specifically the rear gearbox mount). Replaced all 3 when I bought the car so unless its come loose it’s not that.

I’ve read somewhere that some people have cured problems by removing some shims between prop and diff which were fitted at the factory. They are numbered for different thicknesses (I think 2 is common). Maybe something that’s needed when new and not as the car gets older?

Came on fairly suddenly, just something I noticed one day that wasn’t there before. Feels like something is worn and starting to fail but I don’t know what. I know I need to put it on a ramp and actually have a good look at it but any input is welcomed.

It’s a pre-facelift 1998 W210 M-B E55 AMG 5.5 V8 (M113.5 engine iirc and 5-speed non-tiptronic auto box 722.6xx-something)

Thanks for your time J

Engine/ Gearbox mounts. Would be my first thought, although you have changed them.

Did you replace them with OEM mounts? Does your gear lever wobble with the oscillation?

Definitely have a look at your prop shaft - centre bearing and front and rear flexi discs.

OEM mounts yes. No vibration through lever. Rear subframe bushes are on their way out. Fixed it temporarily by removing the 3mm shim off the diff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom