W210 E55 Creaky rear end!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
Any idea on what would cause creaky rear end on old E55

Car has had new suspension spheres so its not them and it doesn't seem to be creaking when its bounced up and down when its parked - but noticeable when driving (on all road surfaces, not just bumps)

Could it be sub frame bushes? Or top of struts?

Anybody had a similar creaking?

Not had it looked at yet, but if anyone has any insight that would be great

Thanks

You have multi link rear suspension with many bushes. Spray each in turn liberally with silicone spray until the creaking stops...you've found it.

Hi,
On my old C43 the rear suspension creaked a bit when I put it in gear. I solved mine by replacing a single bush on each side. This bush is simply described as supporting joint.
It is fitted at the bottom of the wheel hub assembly at the rear and is approx. 1" dia. 1.5" long. (210 rear suspension is the same), also a likely candidate for the creaking is the front sub frame bushes.

As Andy says. It's likely to be the bush that is pressed in the hub where the lower arm bolts to. It's called a trunnion bush and needs a special too to be replaced. Very common issue

Thanks for the valuable pointers, as its starting to bug me!

does the whole hub come off then?

Hi,
No the whole hub doesn't have to come off, mine on my C43 were changed with the hydraulic Porta Power type tool with the hub in situ, Thought there is a small amount removals to gain clear access to the bushes.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy that's great

I see this is a tool used for
Golf mk4's axel bushes purpose and I know for a
Fact that my mechanic has done these

Ordered my bushes today :)

Also replacing the both lower rear arms and front ARB bushes

I have a clunk felt through the wheel - mechanic went over car today with fine tooth comb and could only find some small play in ARB bushes , any other ideas?

Will certainly get them replaced and see if it fixes

you may have a clunk from tranny if tranny mount is bad.
i had it and put in reverse i could hear a clunk if i was a bit harsh on axxelerator

Hi pal, it's steering orientated for sure. Everything seems good from a tranny/engine mount perspective.

did you replace balljoints, outer tie rods, draglink if it's worn?

LCA bushings might be shot as these have a poor hollow design it's the largeer bushings (smaller 2 part bushings don't need to be replaced)
there are polybushings replacing the larger style bush, these are sold in USa
see my picture
then you never have to replace them anymore

the CLK55AMG convertible had solid rubber, if you replace bushings on LCA get the CLK.

if you drop your car on lowering springs it's a good idea to swap these parts if they're long overdue?

Last edited:
Was the outer ARB bushes

Front clunk gone

Have not as of yet replaced the rear trunnion bushes , there is no play in them just a bit squeaky so in no rush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom