W210 E55 Facelift - is it worth it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonhancock

Car
2001 E55 AMG & 2010 E63 AMG
Greetings fellow MB aficionados. I have a 2001 facelift W210 E55 in Obsidian black which I've owned for the past 5 years and looked after well - regular oil and filter changes on engine and gearbox, spark plug changes every 3 years and kept her nice and clean in and out. It's a wonderful car to drive and the interior is sumptuous. The engine and auto box are simply divine.
However.... yep you guessed it... the infamous rust, particularly around the front and rear wheel arches, though elsewhere it's not appeared (yet...).
I've had a few quotes to replace the wheel arches and clean up the bodywork generally at around £3,000. My question really is, is it worth it - and do you think these quotes are in the right ballpark?
I've considered selling the car, but it the current state with the wheel arches, not sure I'd get more than £1,500. And if I spent £3,000 on 'fixing' them, then not sure sure I'd get my money back there either.
I'd like to keep the car, but it's unsightly and embarrassing with the rusty arches.
Appreciate all any any comments/advice/recommendations from the forum experts - anyone who has had a similar task - how have you repaired the rust - how much did it cost - where did you have it done.
Many thanks.

I think you would get more than £1500, the market seems to be high for these, however some prices seem unrealistic. If it was rust repaired properly, I can see you getting your money back as prices are high and seem to be staying that way.

£3k is about right if they are going to cut out the bad bits and replace them. Wings are easily replaced

This won’t make your decision any easier (sorry!) but I’d definitely be interested in buying your 55 if you do decide to sell it.

Have always wanted one and can pay more than £1500 as well :thumb:

£3000 seems a lot to repair? I bought genuine wings from MB for £120 each, rolled them myself and had my painter paint each panel for £100 each and rust proof them (All 4 arches). Total cost just below £700.

If you are planning on selling it, let me know. I would love a black one!

£3000 seems a lot to repair? I bought genuine wings from MB for £120 each, rolled them myself and had my painter paint each panel for £100 each and rust proof them (All 4 arches). Total cost just below £700.

If you are planning on selling it, let me know. I would love a black one!

Bl00dy hell! Where were you when I paid almost that much just to replace my W124 driver's side front wing?! :doh::cool:

Hi
If you would like to sell it for more than £1500 drop me a pm, cash ready can collect tomorrow.
Cheers.

Bl00dy hell! Where were you when I paid almost that much just to replace my W124 driver's side front wing?! :doh::cool:

Nowhere near the expensive South East! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom