W210 E55 oscillation/Vibration Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

janjuhab

Car
W210 E320 CDI and E55
Hi All,

I am a newbie to the forum, so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I have just bought an W210 E55 '99 and have recently started to notice a vibration issue.
When travelling at 45-60 mph, I notice a vibration that is coming up through the centre console and continues through the tunnel. No steering wheel shake, however, once the car is fully warmed up, the vibration/oscillation goes away.

I have done the following work to try to cure the issue:
1) Front tyres re-balanced
2) Rear tyres were cheap and nasty, so a fresh set of pirelli p zero's and balanced
3) Transmission mount collapsed - replaced
4) O/S Engine mount worn badly - having that replaced today
5) Front bearings where repacked and adjusted in 2011

I am not lost and hoping that the engine mount replacement today will cure the issue. Lastly I do have the flex disc's in reserve but as these are expensive I want to rule out all the other rubber mounts.

Has anyone experienced this? if so what did you do to cure this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Is this something you have experienced? would the noise go away once warmed up? Thanks in advance

I had prop shaft vibration on a 210, albeit a 320cdi.
It didn't disappear when warm but it did quieten down.
I fitted a complete second hand prop with new rubber doughnuts on each end and it was silent as could be.

Thanks for the response. That was my last course of action, that is the doughnuts each end.
The car is in having the engine mount done, as this will throw out the alignment of the prop I believe, if that does not cure it then, its the flex disc's next.

Mount has been changed - an improvement but not completely. Flex disc's are now being changed.

Flex disc's now changed no difference! Any ideas anyone? I have had the middle prop bearing checked - it seems ok!

Well - I've now replaced everything bar the prop shaft centre bearing - still the same issue. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Would it quieten down once when warmed up? Although it's not completely gone, but better than when cold...

Try it and see.

You've tried everything else without success.

I have the same issue. It sounds like vvvvvvvvrrrrrrroooooommmmmm...........vvvvvrrrrroooooommmmmm.............vvvvvvvrrrrrrroooooommmmmm.......

once it starts, around 60 MPH, the frequency of this sound does not change with the speed of the car. It does not change with the RPM of the engine. It does not change under acceleration or deceleration. It is truly an odd thing to happen. Things I have done to try and fix this:
NEW Pirelli tires within 100 miles of installing a brand new Mercedes prop shaft which came with the center bearing and two flex disks attached. New rotors on the front within 100 miles of the shaft and the tires. New right front axle shaft.
All of these things fixed other vibrations the car had but none fixed the oscillating sound described in this thread. So there's $1600 worth of parts you can cross off your list of things to try. I thought for sure the drive shaft was going to banish this problem, but at least it did fix the shake I had during acceleration. I have read other posts where engine and trans mounts have been replaced to fix this problem and it did nothing. The best thing I can think of is that there are two differing vibrations that momentarily cancel each other out, then build back up. it's the damnedest thing I have ever encountered.

Thanks automode, seems you are bleeding money but no fix. I spoke to my mechanic and we are going to try the following:
1) Check the transmission fluid and possibly drain it all including the torque convertor
2) Replace the centre bearing
3) Check the lower pully in the engine, bearings sometime get noisy and therefore exhibit the same issue

Failing that - live with it or sell it! :(

Will see - if it is - a pint next time I'm in Southampton!

Hi all, centre bearing checked out ok, no play no rumbling etc.
Rear bearings checked, nothing! All pulley's checked for noisy bearings - nothing all at and finally all the engine/gearbox mounts slackened off engine started to find it sweet spot if you will and then all re-tighten back up.
LOST!!!!

Hi Olly - thanks for the offer of help. I will arrange to come down to see if you can help.

All who have helped me on this subject, just for info, centre bearing is being replaced today so I will report back later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom