W210 E55T roof antenna

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

popuptoaster

Car
2000 E55 AMG Estate
I believe the roof antenna on my estate car is for the now defunct analogue Tele Aid (Not that i'd subscribe even if it wasn't)

Anyone know if it was amplified? I'm thinking I may as well replace it with a roof mount DAB one instead and as most of those are amplified, be handy if there is already a power wire going up there.

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, I thought it was for the GPS - COMAND navigation or the APS versions for single DIN units?

I thought the GPS antenna was in the front bumper? Not that it matters much as i'm not using that either, pulled the whole COMAND unit out and fitted an Android head unit, has it's own GPS antenna.

Yeah looks very similar, some people say it's for the GPS and some for the Tele aid, maybe it does both. I think i'm going to chop the connector of the end of the coax and fit one that will plug into my DAB+ dongle and see if it works better than the crappy windscreen one it came with.

Isn’t Tele aid some American thing? Never seen it on any UK cars of this age.

I think the roof aerial houses the phone antenna as well for hands free so maybe that’s what you’ve read about (as in US spec cars could use the GSM network for the SOS function)

Still that’s where the GPS antenna is located AFAIK, never heard of them in the front bumper before.

Swapped it out for a DAB antenna, definitely has the GPS antenna in there and i suspect it must be the phone aerial as well as the normal radio worked just fine even with it removed so pretty much confirmed normal FM is in the side window on an estate car (I knew there was a window antenna but had been told that it was for lower spec models without the roof mount one, which turns out not to be the case obviously).

The DAB antenna I chose also does FM so i swapped to that one as It's bound to better than the glass mounted one, it's also an active antenna with a power amp which needs a live feed, I took that from the 12v cigar lighter socket that's in the back of mine and is already ignition switched.

All told not that difficult a job although took a few hours as i was pulling panelling out to run wires, cleaning the sticky stuff off the roof took a while too!!

I took some pics but seems can't link to them or delete this post either. :rolleyes:
AF1QipNJ-EwRI4skc_oVQ28QUuwLhOO42gYv98eqAiEk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom