Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComfortKing

Car
W210 Saloon E300TD
I have just bought another w210 e300td two weeks ago.
Aside from the front of the car changing direction when it wants, a foglight bulb out and a misfire/white smoke on cold startups (glow plug issue) it runs real smooth.
However, It had the famed electrical gremlins!
When I test drove it only 1 window worked (NSR). Then, a few weeks later when I collected the car, it jumped to the OSR window and the power seat and mirrors did not work! Then two weeks after picking it up the central locking stopped working from the fob.
From reading various forums and so assuming the worst,(thinking DCM gone or centre console window mirror switch circuit gone) and with the central locking now not working from the fob, needless to say I started panicking!
So I replaced the batteries in the fob, no joy.
The CL still worked from the button inside on the dash. I checked the CL pump (worked fine) had main car battery tested (came back good).
Upon closer inspection of the k40 relay I discovered it covered in a clear but sticky residue! :eek:
So, I have spent a few hours today cleaning the entire relay and fuses individually. Cleaning the k40 in turn meant battery disconnect/reset.
When I put it all back together, Hey presto, it all works again! :bannana:
Wheather this is purely down to the battery disconnect, only time will tell. The only thing that does not work is the 2nd stage function on the rear windows (the full depress, auto up/down) they just stop when you press the switch that far. :confused:
I have it booked in to do a star check on the system in a few weeks so we will see what it comes back with. If anything.
So we will see if the electrical gremlins rear their ugly little faces again...
It is a possibility that there may be a drain somewhere in the system. Could the head unit with boot mounted 10cd multichanger cause this?
I will test the system in the next week and post my findings.
All in all a happy day :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom