w210 estate blowing brake bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2117kh

Car
r107 350sl
Hi
Has anybody had the occurrence of a repeated blowing brake light bulb on a 210 estae car..or am I just unlucky. Its the nearside on by the spare wheel if it makes any difference

I've had my car two and a half years, and I haven't had any lights blow.

Hi
Has anybody had the occurrence of a repeated blowing brake light bulb on a 210 estae car..or am I just unlucky. Its the nearside on by the spare wheel if it makes any difference

Got the same problem on an SLK....same side as well

Any ideas anyone?

Could be the quality of the replacement bulbs you are using. Had the same problem a few years ago and reported it when the car was due a service. The bulbs were replaced at a main dealer and had no problems after. Also may have been coincindental:D

Sounds like a bad earth or short in the lamp unit. They suffer with poor connections.

Are they blowing or just reported as faulty by the car? My S210 was reporting bad bulbs, it was just the fitting, it needed some TLC, I have a how-to on my repair, PM me if you think it may be the problem, I can’t post it as it’s around 200k

Attachments

• I Stop light.pdf
    86.3 KB · Views: 33
  • II stop lights.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 27
  • III stop lights.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
If they are genuinely blowing it's either poor quality lamps, alternator overcharging or low battery electrolyte.

re brake lamp blowing

Thanks for the tips guys, i will take a closer look at the bulbs, they dont look blown but all seems fine when I put new (bosch) ones in. Will take a look at connections too and let you know

cheers

As Mercsys has said I have had the same bulb where the car computer is telling me its short but it seems to that the connection on the same side seems to be an issue, so far it has not happened since its last appearance about 6 months ago. I just ensured it had a good connection

I have a intermittent issue on my offside rear light cluster - I'm told that the unit fails over time. A good clean up of contacts keeps me going for a few months at a time, and is cheaper than a new light cluster for now.

Are they blowing or just reported as faulty by the car? My S210 was reporting bad bulbs, it was just the fitting, it needed some TLC, I have a how-to on my repair, PM me if you think it may be the problem, I can’t post it as it’s around 200k
Thanks Mercsys that was useful. I have a 2000 S320 Avantgarde petrol with the same problem. Showing a lamp fault but no blown bulb, all working correctly. Dealer said I needed new rear tail light units or I could try clean up but not sure how. As I'm a new member I can't PM you but I would love to see your 'How to' on this issue.

Hope you can help
Tony911

#12 the PDFs are attached to #7, but if you can't see them I can email you a copy direct as they are too big for this board.

I had the same issue on my W210. I was told that over time the lighting unit fails due to the connection failing after over heating. basically you can clean/repair the unit (as others have said), or replace.

I had the same issue on my W210. I was told that over time the lighting unit fails due to the connection failing after over heating. basically you can clean/repair the unit (as others have said), or replace.

I have had the same issue replaced the metal frame the buld makes contact to.

I thought it was the light each time because a new light worked when replaced for a short time. I was actually throughing good lights away each time. Take the unit to pieces and clean it up. sometimes you can see evidence of over heating and where the metal has melted away making a bad/no contact.

they do have a problem with the lamps burning out and not bad price now thats will be the problem 9 out of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom