W210 Estate Exhaust Heatshield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
Still driving along country lanes and traced an annoying 'squeak' to a small heatshield (approx 8"x6" curved profile) above the exhaust tailpipes. I pulled it off as it was about to fall of its own accord.

Will I cause any heat damage whilst this is not in place? I would have refixed it but one of the anchor points seems to have disappeared, which I think was the root cause of the problem. What do you recommend to solve it

Thanks
Sean

it will need to be tack welded in place in that case... no damage if its not on the car for a while..

But don't put your frozens on that side of the boot after shopping at Tesco..

Hi
Usually what happens is that the heat shield corrodes where the steel nut bolts it to the floor causing the heat shield to pull through the nut. I have put bigger washers on when this has happened. The heat shield is aluminium hence the corrosion when it is in contact with the steel nuts. If yours is a 7 seater it will result in an underfloor heating effect for their feet.:D

Hi
Usually what happens is that the heat shield corrodes where the steel nut bolts it to the floor causing the heat shield to pull through the nut. I have put bigger washers on when this has happened. The heat shield is aluminium hence the corrosion when it is in contact with the steel nuts. If yours is a 7 seater it will result in an underfloor heating effect for their feet.:D

this exact thing has happened to my 210 estate .. fix just as above too .. not yet done, waiting to go to Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom