W210 Estate Rear Spheres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E300dave

HI ALL . can anybody please give me any help on changing rear spheres on a 98 e300 etsate car..eg what sort of job is it. is anything likly to break as i undo bits on them thanks for any help:)

Hi

If you dont mind me asking how do you know that they need replacing???? I am still on my originals at 262K

hi 230k car seems harsh ride on back end done all bushes on front made good job of that. nice and tight on front end. been told shpere life only 100000k so was gonna start there..

hi 230k car seems harsh ride on back end done all bushes on front made good job of that. nice and tight on front end. been told shpere life only 100000k so was gonna start there..

Wow! Your Merc has done 100 million miles? Wow again!

(I think you meant 100k)

Hi

Is it the thumping noise that you get when you go over bumps like a loose parcel shelf type of noise??

HI 230K yep it is like that and its driving me mad feels too.. harsh on back end

Hi

Keep me posted how you get on. I intend to change the oil in my power steering/ self levelling system soon and if changing the spheres gets rid of the thumping i could replace them when the system is drained down.

HI 230K yep it is like that and its driving me mad feels too.. harsh on back end

Assuming it can be diagnosed on STAR why not start there? My self-leveling failed at around 90K, with the identical symptom you describe and it was a control valve at around £200. Then it failed again after another 10k with the same symptoms and it was the suspension ECU at around £700.
If it pumps up hard the spheres are holding pressure so why assume they're involved?

hi 230 yep il keep ya posted on future developments..

have just replaced my two rear spheres and the back is nolonger bouncing around. The hydraulic oil was full of black bits. Assuming rubber from diaframin the sphere...

Hi,
You have opened an 11 year old thread, and not really asked a question. Due to the lateness of the hour, have a look at this and see what you have done and have not done.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Steve.

My SLS fluid was in the same state.
A couple of months after I changed the spheres and fluid, the steering rack started leaking and had to be changed (it shares the SLS fluid).

The hard ride is caused by the Nitrogen leaking out past the diaphragm, so the entire sphere fills with SLS (a low fluid level is a clue as to what's happened)

I had the same issue on my 124 4-Matic Wagon. Replaced the spheres and flushed the fluid (smart ****) now my tandem pump is leaking. She laughs at me, mocking my attempts to keep her sweet and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom