W210 Estate - sorting the suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

big_mike

Car
1998 E300TD
Starting to enjoy driving the big old estate around, a real change from the Delica and the Impreza before that, much smoother and more wafting (is that a word???) Anyway to the point...

She can get a bit of a shimmy on at the front, almost feels a bit floaty. What are the typical bits and bobs that wear out first and need replacing?

Getting an occasional few thumps through the rear as well, any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Mike

front end - drop-links, lower ball joints, lower wishbone bushes, shock absorbers, wheel bearings. While you're checking that lot, check the springs as well.

rear end - subframe bushes, self-levelling thingys.

All of the above.

The main suspect are the castor bushes on the front lower arms. They split and cause wondering

Brilliant! Thanks so much for the replies, I was wondering if anyone had replied whilst coming back today from my first long trip in the car. I must say it impressed me and the mrs. greatly! Although it did confirm that something isn't quite right at the front.

All in all I am really starting to like this car a lot, it would be nice to get it sorted.

Olly changed most of those bits at the front end of my 'old' S210 - transformed it completely!

They are quite fussy on tyre pressures as well, unfortunately they go through suspension components quite rapidly, due to severe underspeccing, and we haven't mentioned rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom