W210 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cheffy

Car
W211 280 CDi Avantgarde
I'm looking at W210 estate, E320CDi, its a fairly good car with a couple of wheel arch blemishes, usual for these I know, but in the boot cubby where the first aid kit etc. is kept, on the floor there appears to be quite large hole, the seller says there should be a rubber grommet / plug there ? it looks as if it could be - but is that correct ? and can anyone post a photo of said area so I can see what it should look like ?
Also, it has a COMAND sat nav / radio CD, but the screen isn't working - you cant see what radio station / time etc, radio etc work, but no info, is that repairable, or will it just have to be replaced ?

Whats the general consensus on these big wagons ?
I have an E240 W210 saloon, immaculate with only 39000 miles, now looking at the big 320 CDi, are they worse in some areas than the saloon ?
All and any info be much appreciated

Rust is the big problem with the 210 saloon or estate. Some cars seemed to escape - maybe they lived very sheltered lives and not used in the winter - but generally speaking they are rust buckets. Not sure on the 210 but many MBs do have a rubber bung at the a low point in the tailgate / boot area - usually with a hole in the middle so that any water ingress can drain away (I assume). I guess they may be removed if they get blocked.

I'm looking at W210 estate, E320CDi, its a fairly good car with a couple of wheel arch blemishes, usual for these I know, but in the boot cubby where the first aid kit etc. is kept, on the floor there appears to be quite large hole, the seller says there should be a rubber grommet / plug there ? it looks as if it could be - but is that correct ? and can anyone post a photo of said area so I can see what it should look like ?
Also, it has a COMAND sat nav / radio CD, but the screen isn't working - you cant see what radio station / time etc, radio etc work, but no info, is that repairable, or will it just have to be replaced ?

Whats the general consensus on these big wagons ?
I have an E240 W210 saloon, immaculate with only 39000 miles, now looking at the big 320 CDi, are they worse in some areas than the saloon ?
All and any info be much appreciated
Hi, i have a 2002 320 cdi estate. Yes there is a rubber bung in the floor area on the offside rear, back from where the first aid kit is located. Is the hole a rusty mess or a perfect round hole? My car has a working command unit and frankly it is not worth repairing or replacing. Maybe look into an chinese ebay android unit.

One thing to consider is the rear self levelling suspension on the estate 210's (called S210's). Lots of hydraulic pipes which may be rusty/ leaking and a couple are Mercedes parts only so expensive. The power steering also runs from this hydraulic system.

Last year i had 6 hydraulic pipes replaced by an Mercedes indy for £340. If the rear spheres are bad you will get a very hard ride. Check the hydraulic fluid level in the engine bay reservoir (to the right of the oil filter housing). The 320 cdi engine (om613) is a wonderful straight six diesel. Huge torque and great fun to drive. No DPF just an EGR.

Check for diesel leaking on to the aux belt at the front of the engine. New o rings or complete pipes from the main dealer. Take the engine cover off and look for carbon build up around injectors and/or a chuffing sound from the injectors.

Great cars imho. Check the mot history for rust.

Last edited:
Hi, i have a 2002 320 cdi estate. Yes there is a rubber bung in the floor area on the offside rear, back from where the first aid kit is located. Is the hole a rusty mess or a perfect round hole? My car has a working command unit and frankly it is not worth repairing or replacing. Maybe look into an chinese ebay android unit.

One thing to consider is the rear self levelling suspension on the estate 210's (called S210's). Lots of hydraulic pipes which may be rusty/ leaking and a couple are Mercedes parts only so expensive. The power steering also runs from this hydraulic system.

Last year i had 6 hydraulic pipes replaced by an Mercedes indy for £340. If the rear spheres are bad you will get a very hard ride. Check the hydraulic fluid level in the engine bay reservoir (to the right of the oil filter housing). The 320 cdi engine (om613) is a wonderful straight six diesel. Huge torque and great fun to drive. No DPF just an EGR.

Check for diesel leaking on to the aux belt at the front of the engine. New o rings or complete pipes from the main dealer. Take the engine cover off and look for carbon build up around injectors and/or a chuffing sound from the injectors.

Great cars imho. Check the mot history for rust.
Thanks Chip - as I said, I have a W210 saloon, this one did lead a very sheltered life is only done 39000 miles, IO know the 3.2 diesel is a great engine and theyll do half a million miles, I hadnt thought about the hydraulics tho, I maybe have to reconsider.

Thanks Chip - as I said, I have a W210 saloon, this one did lead a very sheltered life is only done 39000 miles, IO know the 3.2 diesel is a great engine and theyll do half a million miles, I hadnt thought about the hydraulics tho, I maybe have to reconsider.
Hopefully i have not put you off buying a S210 estate. A test drive would very quickly show up a failing rear suspension system (rock hard jiggly ride at the rear) along with low hydraulic oil level in the engine bay reservoir. Also test the SLS by loading up the boot with something heavy.

IMHO it is worth finding a good one. Great cars.

Thanks again Chip, I did do a test drive, over quite shitty road too, lots of big potholes etc, and it drove really well, if I could put something heavy in the boot, how should it react ? how will I know something's wrong ?

Thanks again Chip, I did do a test drive, over quite shitty road too, lots of big potholes etc, and it drove really well, if I could put something heavy in the boot, how should it react ? how will I know something's wrong ?
A failed SLS system will result in rock hard rear suspension so sounds like the car you test drove has a functioning hydraulic system.

Check the arch gap at the rear. Load up the boot with something heavy and the car with the engine running will self level back to the pre load arch gap.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A failed SLS system will result in rock hard rear suspension so sounds like the car you test drove has a functioning hydraulic system.

Check the arch gap at the rear. Load up the boot with something heavy and the car with the engine running will self level back to the pre load arch gap.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks for that

I had the E300 W210 estate and found that if I spent a small amount of money on the body each year as you would spend on servicing it was easy to keep up with any rust problems. There are areas that are not easy to see, the cross member below the engine which is above the engine tray, that needed replacing.

And front spring supports...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom