W210 facelift - key opens doors, turns in ignition but won't crank ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

datripsta

Car
E320 CDI ( S210 & S211 )
E320 cdi facelift.

Hi, my car has been stood for 3 months. Battery is dead but was new 6 months ago. Bosch s5.

Went to car today and of course key wouldn't open doors as bat was dead as expected. Connected to a good battery via jump leads and alarm went off. Key fob turned off alarm. Key went into ignition, steering lock came off and the usual mechanical sound came, and turned all way to start but there is nothing. No click no nothing. No dash warnings.

Locks and opens car fine. Windows etc.. work comes out of gear with brake pressed.

Tried in park and neural.

Also tried with another 320 jump start but nothing.

I can't find the spare key either!!!!

Checked fuses Inc ECU box fuses. Took lower panel off and connections to steering and ignition seem good. Gave them a good check for seating correctly.

Am I facing a recode or could there be something else.

My star until is unavailable another country right now and I won't have the chance to bring it to the car for a good month.

Help !

If brake pedal sensor was bad I believe it wouldn't go out if park and brake lights wouldn't come on ?

Is there some sequence for resynchronization of original keys.

Kinda screwed if car won't run. I'll have to have it lifted away firm where it is in next few days if I can start it.

Finding the spare key will help to eliminate a key issue if the spare also fails to start.

I recall mention of putting a hair dryer on the ignition switch for a while; don’t know if the key was in or out of the ignition at the time.

If the car was outside for the 3 months then things will be a bit damp.

Are you able to get the car battery fully charged?

Dec

Hi,
Jump starting off of another battery is never an ideal scenario. Can you take the good battery off of the other 320 and put that battery in place of the non working one. Make sure terminals are clean when you bolt it in.
If the original battery is really flat it may need a couple of days on an old type battery charger.
When you put key into the ignition, are you getting all the dash lights on ? Yes ?? then check you are getting power to the starter solenoid. Probably need a friend for this. If there is power at the solenoid, then perhaps Starter Motor is stuck. You will not be able to rock it free so either take it out (PIA job) or give it a sharp whack in situ ( the easy way ). I used to keep an old piece of half shaft for this very purpose, also useful for removing Mini clutches !
If there are no dash lights, then check there is power getting to the fuses / relays. Seems strange for ignition switch to just fail from standing. Although, as you say, key operates the lock on the ignition switch, so is it sending power to the solenoid? Do you have a fuse diagram?
A VOM ( multimeter ) or simple lighted 12 volt prod will be helpful to check voltage to fuses, to the ignition switch and to the starter solenoid.

You say your "Star " is elsewhere, do you know anyone with a cheap diagnostic scanner ? that may help.
If you have had it standing for 3 months, have a family of rats or mice moved in to Hotel Mercedes and chewed the wiring?? Look for droppings on the floor or bits of wiring? Good luck.

Steve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom