W210 Front Dampers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SJX

Car
MB Car
Hi,

MOT time again..

Just replaced the front dampers on my e320cdi, the reason for replacement of the original OEM units was structural rusting and some oil leakage but still worked well at damping. (Plush, noise free riding of bumps and potholes.)

I have replaced the units with G*F Motor Factor supplied units and to be honest have encountered a problem. The units were supplied manufactured by AMTEK Although unheard of were sent as alternative to BOGE units (there was one BOGE on the shelf, another was ordered - Part unavailable so a pair of AMTEK units were supplied as book alternative (same price)) All part numbers were checked correctly for Elegance model and not Avantgarde.

These look very good quality units and fitted right on without issue.

Now when driving the car the slightest pothole during normal driving or 5mph speed ramp (I have now have to crawl over) there is a solid thump on passing over it. It is not any other component as they have all been done over time and the noise wasn’t there before the shocks were swapped.

As you may know there is very little free travel on the OEM units shaft before the compressible foam bump stop on the rod starts to compress (prob about 2 .5 inches of free travel at the most) The replacements have the same travel but compress to a very hard, almost incompressible, rubber stop and not the foam stop as the oem units. I am pretty sure that this is the issue and will be removing the dampers at the weekend to disassemble the AMTEK shafts and swap over the damper compression bump stops and upper rubber layout.
It shouldn’t be necessary to do this kind of mod to new units and I will report back as to how it went.

Anyone had similar with AMTEK or other brands? If not, a worthy thing to note.

In a real world we would all like to buy a set of OEM Sachs front shocks for over £150 but this isn’t happening - it would be 10 percent of the purchase price of the car!

I've never tried Amtek dampers, but if they are as bad as their suspension spheres, you've wasted your money.

Strange in that most Citroen forums rave about them as reliable and serviceable replacements!. :)

I think the name and branding in this case may well be a different company as the G*F AMTEX Spheres are Red/Yellow boxed and the Shocks are Blue, White and Black with a very different type of logo maybe AM-tex. Anyway not about to pay for 100k miles+ used/second hand units at the same price as new in any form, so will take a look at the weekend and swap the end stop compression rubbers over and see how we go.

Not hear of them, however most members would advise sticking with Sachs, Boge, Bilstein for suspension parts.

The stop does sound like the difference (and thus the issue) however it'd be good to see how you get on - no body likes a stiff ride :) )

Patrick

Strange in that most Citroen forums rave about them as reliable and serviceable replacements!.

Really?

They may rave about them, but not in a good way. Gas pressures tend to be variable as do the damper orifices. Most people report short life and a ride not like the original Citroen ride.

But what do I know...?? :rolleyes:

Yes yes, we know you're a Citroen aficionado...but the OP is new.:wallbash:

Yes yes, we know you're a Citroen aficionado...but the OP is new.

My advice was regarding Amtek branded parts, which I choose not to use because they seem to be irregular.

My suspicion is that the old dampers were knackered and the O/p is feeling the new dampers working well, so feeling brittle.
This effect is particularly noticeable if only the front or rears are changed, unless it's an estate which will then have SLS. (Oops...more Citroen stuff.... :D)

To get the proper ride back the car really needs new springs and dampers all round as once the springs sag they fail to control the body under compression, so allow a lot more bottoming out.

I did mine all round at about 110k miles.

Last edited:
That’s about the miles of it, we are at 100k so maybe you have a point on the springs. However as an interim, resulting of the weather turning out a little better, I swapped out the stops on the dampers with the originals and the noise has vanished.

The snubbers on the replacements were just like the material the upper mounting rubbers are made of, the originals are a compressible pink foam rubber type allowing a more progressive bump stop I imagine. So pleased with the outcome at least. Obviously it's a standard 'fits-all' damper specced for the W210 amongst a few others I bet, so worth noting if required for the future. New front gas shocks for under £65 - was worth the effort for me any rate.

I have been very much a 'done it all' with motors from an early age, spending huge lumps of cash on various models, makes and marques, doing majorly my own spanner and electrical/electronic work. Having now hung up the spanners for a living now (best move ever! - now work in a Hospital) also having turned 'a certain age', the fires all gone, just can’t get enthusiastic about 'money pit motoring' anymore. A £1500 quality ride carefully chosen, will give miles of smiles on these sh*te British roads - and if maintained safely and on budget (not forgetting the all important 'how much the steed actually owes you' in the first place) Then always drive it in a manner that is sympathetic with the age of the vehicle and it can all turn out to be a very rewarding economical solution to comfortable, reliable A to B family transport.

As for dealer servicing, Mercedes brake pads, Citroen spheres, BMW wiper blades and alike - good luck to all those who pay their premium way in motoring.:D

Thanks for the input, great board with fantastic info at hand.

Steve

Check that the bottom mount bolt is really tight, as I started to have a knock from the front offside going over bumps etc. couldn't see any reason why as everything looked ok, but took the shock, top arm and steering arm off the hub to check the bottom joint. When inspecting the bottom joint of the shock I noticed that there was a slight impression of the bolt thread inside.
Re-assembled and made sure that the bolt was done up really tight, so that the mount on the wishbone clamped onto the metal tube in the bottom mount of the shock. Took for a test drive and all is quiet :bannana:

Thanks for that Mark will check them out next time wheels are off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom