W210 Handbrake Ears - collapsed in brake drum !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

datripsta

Car
E320 CDI ( S210 & S211 )
Bit of an odd and rare issues

Looks like my right rear hand brake has completely collapsed in the drum and ripped the handbrake ears into bits. I heard it all get crushed up when I was diriving. Lucky this wheel didn't get jammed and cause more problems. I've taken the disc off and removed all the parts so its ok to drive but handbrake is only working on left side.

Cant find any repair info relating to this.

EPC doesn't seem to list the parts either. Cable end seems to be ok but the ear mechanism is in bits and way beyond usable. Will I need a replacement hub with the ears attached or can I just take the ears from a scrap car as Merc are struggling to find the part Ill fail the upcoming MOT if I don't get this sorted in the next few weeks.

The ears are the part that expands and contracts when the handbrake is applied/released and links to the shoe mechanism to apply/remove pressure to the drum. I have a replacement drum shoe set along with slings and adjuster on the way. Its the ears that are my problem :(

Any pointers are hugely appreciated

Are the 'ears' what EPC calls a 'shackle' and WIS calls an 'expansion lock'? (The expanding mechanism inbetween the shoes at 180 degrees to the shoe adjustment screw?

If so, they are A 201 420 05 89 for a 210.026/226.

amazing thats it! huge thanks. Looks like I can get aftermarket too if its stupid money from merc.

There is a part that connects from the cable to one if the ears. If thats mashed as well do you know if thats available

image is here https://goo.gl/images/Rcmm1G

Youll see the part that connects from the back of the hub ( jsut the left of the green arrow with the round pin in the middle ) that has the cable attached to it. whats left on mine did look ok but after seeing these pics it may need replacing also.

looking at pics I think that maybe the end of the handbrake cable so possibly a fun job and do the cable also.

Good read all replies are good advice,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom