W210 ignition key will not turn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hifibloke

Car
E280
hi

W210 2000 petrol
I can open the door via key but when in ignition the is no zip sound and key will not turn :(
I did not used the car much over past week and then few short trips
took the battery out (92Ah of some not well known make ) i don't know how old is the batt
anyone had this problem b4 ? what i can do/check ? :dk:

please help

Possibly the EIS is dead. ( electronic ignition switch ) , you need it to go on a STAR machine to find out.

Clean the red window on the keys and EIS, after that it's as above, the unit is kaput.

Today I discovered a blown fuse 9 steering lock but after changing still no joy.

I will check tomorrow with meter but I don't think this is down to battery.

Possibly the EIS is dead. ( electronic ignition switch ) , you need it to go on a STAR machine to find out.

apparently you can not connect diagnostic tool if you can't turn the key ?

Yes you can.

The EIS is the only control unit the Star can communicate with with the ignition off.

Had this prob this morning with a low battery,the moment i jumped it the prob disappeared

I had a similar problem some years ago in my 210, my Indie diagnosed that it was the battery and because the battery was not so old, I was reluctant to buy a new one, however he was proved to be correct and a new battery cured the problem.

No.

More than likely the ESL steering lock. If the fuse has blown then the Relay is caput. If the ESL does not dis-engage then it will not let you turn it!

If you have had the battery off the EIS may have lost its memory. Put the key in the ignition lock and leave it for a time, it may just re learn.

No.

More than likely the ESL steering lock. If the fuse has blown then the Relay is caput. If the ESL does not dis-engage then it will not let you turn it!

It would be worth tripping the lock released switch to see if the EIS then responds.

Thanks for your help guys, car still on driveway as I'm waiting for my mechanic to look into this, it will be next week. If the steering lock caput what to expect money wise ?

£600 ish

Is it possible to buy and use one of these from a breakers or is there some sort of hard coding problem that will arise from using a second hand part?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom