W210 - indicator stalk and steering column cover slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shirleydrive

Car
E320 w210 1998 61K
I hope this thread might be of some help to some of our listers.
I recently purchased really nice example of a E320 (W210) of 1999 vintage - 61000 miles 12 months MOT and full MB dealer service records, and all for < £1000.
The one niggle has been that when the interior of the car has reached around 20 Deg C the steering column cover, indicator stalk etc all move a little, especially when the indicator stalk is operated.
Did a little research and found that this is not an uncommon problem. The recognised fix for this requires the removal of the steering wheel, air bag assembly and combination switch unit - all to be able to tighten ONE screw.
The quick fix I found was on an American MB Forum. It entails drilling a hole at a point 1.75 inches measured back from the rear of the steering wheel. The hole should be at the 6 o'clock position on the underside to the cover. This provides direct access to the clamp screw. I used a 1/2inch hole saw. This enabled me to see the screw with a torch. I sealed the hole with a 1/2 blind grommet so repair virtually unnoticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom