W210 Limp mode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No vacuum, all electronic.

There are specific codes detailed in that site I gave the link for, but as I said, it will be a duff motor (the M55) or jamming flaps/linkage.

Is Nuneaton any good, if so Mercland would be the place to go.

It's a bit far at 60 mile round trip, but if I'm going that way it will be worth calling in - thanks.

Update:

Hurrah! looks like it's fixed. :D
Thanks to all who helped.
I took the cover off & underneath the inlet manifold was some sort of valve with a lever flopping about attatched to it, this had a small ball joint on the end that just needed clipping back onto what I assume is the flap system you were on about.
I don't think the valve was a motor as it just seems to move when the car is revved - I'll take a photo when I can get the car back & post it.
Just hope it doesn't pop off again as it seemed quite a loose fit.

cheers
Chris

It sounds like the Inlet Port Flap Motor.
It's a common fault and if it keeps coming off you will need a new Inlet Manifold.

It's one of those parts that shouldn't break and you can't buy bits.
If you are handy you might be able to do a temp job.

Been and done it

sorry

Steve

I hate to say i told you so, but...
It was the M55 (inlet port shut off motor) at fault, and the loose arm will have been hitting the manifold on occasion, jamming it.
This is what will have triggered the fault code, as I said.
Now it is connected it will be fine for a while, until it falls off again - a new arm is not a lot of money...

Didn't think bits were available just a complete manifold.
As I didn't have the option 12 months ago I will not look as the answer will make my wallet cry. Boo hoo

If parts are available can you post the part numbers please Alex?
It won't help me but may help others

I did try to buy the parts to reverb my old manifold to try to recoup some of the cost.
I was told by Mertrux Derby that although the parts are listed they were unavailable.
Admittedly mine is a E220 4 cylinder but you would still expect parts that are shown as separate to be available?

Last edited:
That didn't last long!!

As you suggested the arm has fallen off again :(
I see the arm & part number but I can't seem to find the other end.
Has anyone actually changed one of these arms?
I would have thought the other part with the cup end would wear - rather than the end with the ball on.

You could have a problem with the actual flaps themselves being very tight due to being clogged with soot. It is a common problem. The flaps being tight may have caused the rod to pop off.

You could have a problem with the actual flaps themselves being very tight due to being clogged with soot. It is a common problem. The flaps being tight may have caused the rod to pop off.

No they both seem to be flopping about quite freely :(
I think it's just wear between the joint - they clip back together far too easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom