W210.. Losing Gears, Losing power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meffy

Car
Cl500
Hey guys... Hoping someone here can help
I have a 98 w210 e55. The problem I have is that whilst driving, if I floor it hard to downshift, I lose gears completely and car just revs away. I then have to let the car coast as its dropping speed to around 25mph before it finds a gear to engage in. This happens even if I try to manually select gears. Due to this issue its managed to blow the head on the car....
Now fast forward
New replacement engine & gearbox just fitted.
Driven now for over 300mls and its weirdly doing Exactly the same thing! This is despite the replacement box having a full oil service.
I've checked online and they point out an ecu reset.. Sequence of holding gas pedal down with ignition on and letting go.
I need some help guys as its now 2nd gearbox and engine with same issue
Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I'm based in Manchester btw

First of all, it needs reading to even get close to the issue. Was the TCU changed?

Hi mate

No. Ecu is same. We did run diagnostic but with car being stood for so long it had multiple errors.
I have a esp error and I have been told it could be related. Running car over back to garage next week for another diagnostic

I think it’s rare for the drive just to drop out, normally anything electrical ie solenoids and conductor plate give limp mode and shift problems.

Could be more like the trans oil pump drive or torque converter or loss of oil pressure in the trans somehow.

I'm assuming that all the basics have been checked like correct ATF and ATF level.
As said above, the most common fault with these trannies is the electrical plate.

I think it’s rare for the drive just to drop out, normally anything electrical ie solenoids and conductor plate give limp mode and shift problems.

Could be more like the trans oil pump drive or torque converter or loss of oil pressure in the trans somehow.
This is the 2nd gearbox.. Only changed as it came with replacement engine.
Gearbox oil was also replaced

This is the 2nd gearbox.. Only changed as it came with replacement engine.
Gearbox oil was also replaced

Could there be a possible link to abs/eps sensor as this flashed on off every now n then?

Could there be a possible link to abs/eps sensor as this flashed on off every now n then?
This sounds likely, as the ABS sensors are central to the engine management system on most MB cars.
If the ECU detects contradictory signals from ABS sensors, this can give rise to a number of problems.
Connecting to STAR should be able to identify ABS problems.

Pull the abs fuse so the light is on all the time and the car should then drive on default (if it’s an abs fault). Doubt an abs fault would cause you to lose drive completely though.

Some time ago, I had a W210 facelift E430 that had been off the road for some time.
The fault panel was lit up like a Christmas tree.
The cause was two ABS sensors off and a cracked ABS ring on the rear near-side.
The car would sometimes run and at other times would limp-mode.
When scanned, the ECU had logged a list of fault conditions a mile long.
When the three faults were fixed, the faults were cleared one by one and did not return.
I'm not saying your problems are the same, but this may indicate some places to look.

Thanks guys. Cars booked in this week for the abs sensor replacement.
I'll let you know how I get on... Fingers crossed its sorted as the engine/gearbox cost a small fortune

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom