w210 new dash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meb

Car
SL500 R230
Does anyone know how easy, or hard it is, to replace the instrument cluster on a pre-facelift w210 with the later w210 instrument cluster and make the comand turn signals show up on the display panel?

The w210 it will be fitted to does not have canbus at the dash, but I do have a canbus version Comand, which I will be using with a canbus emulator.

Cheers

It is plug and play, for the actual instrument cluster parts. You will need to install some more cables for the canbus related functions, and also a steering wheel with multifunction buttons.

Here is my w202:

w202cluster.jpg

now with w210 cluster installed (from E300D)

w210cluster.jpg

then with w208 cluster installed (from CLK320)

w208cluster.jpg

:D

This is what will eventually be installed:

w208amgcluster1.jpg

:D :D :D

Thanks for the pictures, that bit does not look too bad but does anyone here know how to wire the multi function steering wheel, instrument cluster and Comand to a non canbus w210?

Shude,

Your dashboard looks the business!

Is it a straight swap over to install the new w210 (post facelft) cluster to a w210 (pre facelift)? My car has a dot maxtrix read out that displays things like "Lamp Failure". Will the new w210 cluster fit?

By the way, what happened to your w10/w208 clusters? Fancy selling them?

Paresh

So what about mileage, how do you get it correct?? Or shouldnt i ask!!

I'd imagine that the mileage & other info is contained elsewhere, rather than in the Cluster - as its possible to remove a cluster, disconnect, change bulbs, put it back in again, with the same mileage showing ! (unless there is some battery backup in the cluster, of course !)

If i can remember correctly , the mileage is within the cluster and that you have to pay the dealer to put it back to what it was.:crazy:

Originally posted by fuzzer
If i can remember correctly , the mileage is within the cluster and that you have to pay the dealer to put it back to what it was.:crazy:

typical !! so it will remain if you disconnect & reconnect the existing cluster, but if you decide to replace it, the new one has to be re-programmed.

:(

The mileage is in the cluster AND elsewhere...you will have to have the mileage in the cluster reset by the dealer to the proper mileage.

Not every W210 /W202/W208 will take the newerstyle dashes without a single struggle...most will.

The W210 newstyle clusters for example come up with a mirrored fuel gauge compared to the W202/W208 clusters...the newstyle W208 clusters don't.

The 2000+ instrument clusters with the digital speeddisplay come up with a faultcode every single time the car is started...kind of anoying...the 1999-2000 updated clusters without the digital speeddisplay don't come up with that fault code...

The newstyle instrument cluster will only work properly in combination with the newstyle steering wheels and instrument clusters (otherwise you can't go through the menus in the cluster).

Here is a W210 before picture:
http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/installdetails.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1839

and an after picture:
http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/installdetails.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1841

of a US spec 1999 E430 I worked on a while ago...

Here are some pictures of a US spec 1999 C43 I worked on...apology for the bad quality pictures...these were taken before I was finished...currently the car has an extended comand front and an AMG steering wheel with AMG MF airbag.

http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/installdetails.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1590

http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/installdetails.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1591

Wiring up that updated instrument cluster is easy...you will be needing a different airbag contactring, connector to the airbag contactring, file the hole for the connector in your combiswitch aluminum bracket bigger and whatever else I forgot to write.

All 210 comands will work with the updated instrument cluster...the cluster itself already has CANBUS in every single W210 and all you need to do is run 2 CANBUS wires from the IC to the comand...NO NEED OF A CANBUS CONVERTER!

greetingz,

Originally posted by n3thn
So whats the cost of these new clusters then and how hard are they to fit ?
Brand new cluster (for practically any car, any model) is about £350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom