w210. no boost.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
About a third of the way into a 300 mile trip, I lost boost on the car, with it only kicking in now and again, accompanied by loads of whistle but not much in the way of stonking acceleration.

Is my intercooler dead? No huge clouds of smoke so I know the turbos fine, partly because I only replaced it 6 months ago.

Broken IC pipe. friend had same with 220CDI. Clamp came loose and was creating big cloud of smoke.

Have you read rule 9 (I think) of the forum rules, Jac? So, as I was saying, I just wondered if replacing the IC pipe was a big job though...

Last edited:
Get it plugged in first. Stop guessing as this will cost you in the long run.

Cheers Olly, I would usually have done what you said but I thought I'd see what the general consensus was first.

Will it show as low pressure somewhere, or will it say along the lines of 'intercooler dead'?

I'll get it over to JAR asap, didn't realise something mechanical would show on the STAR.

Bottom clamps like to slip out. Lift it, remove cover and you will see it.

You mean the whole car, don't you. Doh!
Going to JAR this weekend. Will be going on lifter while its in. Cheers allias.

Lift it - I meant lift car :D or use a lift or jacks or something. Then you have 6 or 8 screws holding front bottom cover and as soon you remove it you will see intercooler and hoses with clips. There is no proper clamps but just s...ty C-Clips which like to slip out. That is the easy check you can do. Other then that scan it like Olly said.

Thanks ill give it the once-over before it goes in. Odd thing is it was running fine when I was out on a job this morning. The under cover is off as well anyway, which will make life easier.

I've attached a picture of what I discovered. This is at the passenger side. The drivers side is not quite as oily, but still a mess.

If I just disconnect and clean it up I'm guessing there are seals for this that need replacing. Or is there something to tighten down?

I've learned I'm the past to ask how something goes together before I take it apart...

Also, would this be causing loss of boost?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110822_101151.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110822_101151.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 98
Ive had 2 intercooler failures on W203 C220 CDI Models, although not visible they crack and cause a lack of power usually followed by the engine light coming on too. Oil often gathers around the pipework joints on any older turbo'd cars prob' worth taking apart and making sure there is some sort of seal.

Ordered 2 seals, and whilst waiting til tomorrow for them, replaced all my fuel seals and cleaned my (very dirty) MAF. Noticed a lot of gunk under my EGR but will get to that another day. Tightened up all the hoses round the turbo and air box, and it ran like a dream when I gave it a run it went really well. Will fit my new intercooler seals tomorrow and give it an Italian tuning session, if problem still persists or reoccurs seeing as its running ok, its going on the star.

Could it really have just been the MAF though? Seems unlikely to me, but I'm hardly the Oracle when it comes to MB.

My e320 cdi had the same problem no boost, diagnostic confirmed Maf failure. Part replaced from Merc £60 and running like a dream.

Could it really have just been the MAF though? Seems unlikely to me, but I'm hardly the Oracle when it comes to MB.

Very common on older CDI. On mine I had 2 replaced within 10 months.

[SOLVED] W210 no boost

Well, after sorting out the maf, replacing the intercooler seals, and finding a very naughty fuel line leak so small it seemed to just be releasing vapour, I'm pleased to report that it is now running like a dream again. Kickdown always seemed more of a hope and dream than a possibility while it was playing up.

Now it's happy to drop down a couple of cogs and redline through the gears. I think limp mode has took its ball home. Time for a tuning session?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom