W210 occasionally starting problem (E280, 1996)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimmi

My problem is as follows:

I turn the key - and nothing. Won’t even crank. My battery is new any fully charged.
The head lights do not faint during the attempt. Other electrical equipment looks fine. After several attempt usually the car starts. It cannot be the imobiliser, since the car should crank even though the key has not been identified by the system. I’m suspecting than the sensor for the gear shifter is faulty (any one know where this one is located). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Possibly the soleniod on the starter motor.

PJH said:
Possibly the solenoid on the starter motor.

Somewhat hard to believe. This car has never been driven during winter (keept in a garage) has only been on the roads for 50000 Kilometres.
In effect more or less new. Find it hard that the Starter motor should be faulty.

Thanks anyways. A pic of the beauty http://hem.bredband.net/dimtri/images/w210.jpg

Last edited:
It could be the immobiliser, this inhibits the whole starting circuit so the engine will not even turn over. Try removing the key and then re-inserting and trying again, could be the ignition barrel.

Mine does this if you leave the ignition on for some time without attempting to start, you then have to turn the key back to OFF and then try again, also on the Smarts you have to press the unlock button to reset the immobiliser.

If the solenoid was faulty you would hear it clicking.

jimmy said:
It could be the immobiliser, this inhibits the whole starting circuit so the engine will not even turn over. Try removing the key and then re-inserting and trying again, could be the ignition barrel.

Mine does this if you leave the ignition on for some time without attempting to start, you then have to turn the key back to OFF and then try again, also on the Smarts you have to press the unlock button to reset the immobiliser.

If the solenoid was faulty you would hear it clicking.

I don’t think the immobilizer is the issue. On my model if I do not push the button on the key the engine will crank (oppsed to the C-class) but it will not fire up. In addition, the two (red and green) lights on the mirror will flash (which they don not in this case). Hence, if the immobiliser in engaged the start motor should turn (at least on the w210, 1996)!

Thanks for your reply though

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom