W210 or w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tattt

Car
W210 320cdi 2001 advantguard
I have been offered and am considering buying another w210
E320 cdi I like the one that I have but it has a few niggles at first I thought and was told my flaps motor dodgey
But have done this and although problem isn't as bad still goes into limp mode (noticed smoke again coming from engine bay think my exhaust may be slightly blocked restricted flow not a major issue could probably get precat and cat off start by bashing through and c how things progress maybe a new back box at worst or even maybe a blocked egr or xygen sensor so a clean or shunt to be wired lol

So I have niggles
1 lowered or knackered suspension looks great but needs to be put to standard I'm catching speed bumps under car everywhere
2 stereo command cd doesn't work
3 my lights keep coming up with fault even though bulbs work
4 have some major chips in windscreen
5 ding in boot
6 someone recently rubbed wheel arch flat
7the digital displays all readings not working properly
8 box sometimes not regular but still worrying sticks in 2 gear even up to 5000 rpm until swith off and restart
8 after I bought and checked online think unscrupinouse person who sold to me needs karma to catch up with him only thing I'm grateful of is car still gets me back n fourth work reliably at moment check it out my mot for yourselves kp51opd silver my car says 151000 at moment i reckon the mileage should be closer to 250000

Went onto site jam jar offered me 270 pounds for my car today

And I have been offered e320 cdi 2001 silver y411tss estate got to look at it yet but bodywork in pics looks straight and admits bit of rust but no more than usual but reckons drives a1 checked mots online and seems pretty fair says it got a full service history

I think it be cheaper to I think after talking to seller I can negotiate 700 pound sale for the estate than repair my own vehicle and keep mine for spare parts things like change my amg alloys over etc make sure everything works then sell my old one only thing I would miss is the leather interior though

Or go trade it in for a w211 of which engine to choose I do 30000 a year love the way both these cars look
But prefer the w210 to be honest and an estate going back n fourth caravan makes more sense with 3 kids and a dog

And at 700 pounds considering I could sell mine once reliability and any parts required confirmed could sell mine so approx at around 450 pounds and no work just an insurance phone call wat are your thoughts guys any tips

Last edited:
From what I can decipher, your W210 has quite a few faults, some easy fixes (display) and some more expensive (electroplate of the gearbox). I loved mine and would purchase the other one and keep the better of the two. The other one can be used as a donor or stripped and you will have a load of spare parts should you need them. The scrap man will give you some cash even if you take some bits off

This is my sort of thoughts on this matter

going to look tuesday if it drives right I think it's a done deal hopefully a little bit more luck

Think these e class with this engine are great just my first one I didn't know wat to look for any major issues except for the ones I just found out about known to be a nuisance on the estates

I think if you like them and can use your current car as a donor car, and you have the space to keep it, I'd probably go with the other W210.

Just my 10p, but having owned my W210 since May, I would not think twice about buying another w210 to use as a donor. You know how these cars work and now know what to expect.

Just my 10p, but having owned my W210 since May, I would not think twice about buying another w210 to use as a donor. You know how these cars work and now know what to expect.

I'm hoping so going to go view new years day c wat the other is like I want at very least to swap the ugly wheels on estate over for my amg rims and new toyo proxies lol at very least

I think if you like them and can use your current car as a donor car, and you have the space to keep it, I'd probably go with the other W210.

Another vote for this, ^^^^ @ £700 it is cheap motoring especially if you can get it through a couple of MOT'S before the rust finally gets to it.

Steve.

Had my 210 for 16 years now.233,000 and going well.Down to Spain and back twice each year.

There we go. When you get a good one, they hold there own!

Had my 210 for 16 years now.233,000 and going well.Down to Spain and back twice each year.

I know the one I have has done about the same got to 140000 on mots then year after states 85000 then got to 166000 and reverts to 129000 is up to 150000 some serious clock rewinding gone on I'm not bitter its got me back n fourth work as an inbetween car since my insignia cdti at 129000 miles had a complete engine meltdown apparently a very costly repair quoted around 1600 pounds with fluids and service on a used engine apparently they have a coomon weakness and are rare and expensive engines so didn't bother

for less than half the price of that repair not knowing if the new engine fitted is going to last? Ibought a w210 as a spur of the moment need a work car and also got to sell insignia for 450 pound jam jar a good site to sell scrap vehicles honestly guys

The mercedes still drives fine loves duals and motorways and streets without speed bumps but got a few costly repairs that I'm not interested in doing check out mot status kp51opd still mot till July

but with the power loss issues that are bothering me and the clear clunk's on back of car and the alps style speed bumps in my street that the car is violently rubbing on and hitting I've got to look at swapping vehicles for my own sanity lol don't fancy lying on my back for days sorting exhaust finding more faults on a vehicle to costly to repair to consider keeping much longer

I think it's going to make a great donor car although Instantly i get 4 amg alloys I really need to refurb but also recently put 300 pounds worth of rubber on toyo proxies they are really gripping well on the saloon and any other bits like buttons handles etc spares full engine of spares

The one I'm looking at does have under 150000 on it and mot prove it y411tss check mot so I got a bit of confidence mot till October the owner mentioned has a parrot fitted and no command stereo and drives faultlessly unmolested and not lowered

In pics doesn't have no dents and the dials all working so if when I veiw car if windscreen isn't cracked chipped it should be good for a year or two maybe three I'm going to miss the leather interior though but need a solid car that has a chance of passing another mot seems to be more of a priority

plus the advantages of that huge boot and practicality for the dog makes this I think a done deal

The only worrying concern mentions trays fitted to engine sills etc in mots anyone know if this is normal or something to check ?

Last edited:
Toolman 1954 u seemed quite the guy to find out spec etc I can't seem to desipher the model of the estate I'm going to c from the reg etc it has no sunroof and cloth seats and standard stereo would this likely be a base model without the sports suspension because I think I'd prefer that and do u know what is the difference between auto and tip auto I'm kind of not familiar with auto gearboxes generally sorry

when I look up in parkers these are the variants on the these cars?

Toolman 1954 u seemed quite the guy to find out spec etc I can't seem to desipher the model of the estate I'm going to c from the reg etc it has no sunroof and cloth seats and standard stereo would this likely be a base model without the sports suspension because I think I'd prefer that and do u know what is the difference between auto and tip auto I'm kind of not familiar with auto gearboxes generally sorry

when I look up in parkers these are the variants on the these cars?

Here’s the datacard of the estate

744 Brilliant Silver Metallic
451 Fabric ELEGANCE, Anthracite
026 ENTFALL NOTSCHLUESSEL
213 PARAMETER STEERING
249 Automatically Dimming Interior Mirror
345 Rain Sensor
423 Automatic Five-Speed Transmission (NAG)
451A FABRIC-ELEGANCE ANTRHACIT
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
480 Rear Axle Level Control System
500 Folding Left/Right Outside Mirrors
543 SUN VISOR WITH MAKE-UP MIRROR L. AND R., BE-
551 Anti-Theft Alarm System
600 SCHEINWERFER - REINIGUNGSANLAGE
611 AUSSTIEGSLEUCHTEN FUER FAHRERTUEREN
613 LEUCHTEINHEIT - ASYMETRISCH LINKSVERKEHR
641 Continental Tire System (CTS)
668 VERPACKUNG FUER VERSANDFAHRZEUGE
673 BATTERY WITH INCREASED CAPACITY
744U BRILLANTSILBER - METALLICLACK
756 MB Audio 10 RDS Radio With CD Insertion Slot
801 Model Year 2001
833 GROSSBRITANNIEN-FAHRZEUGE ZUSATZTEILE
844 Rear-Facing Folding Bench Seat In Load Compartment
876 INTERIOR LIGHT ASSY.
877 Reading Lamp In Rear
882 Interior Protection And Tow-Away Protection
955 Elegance
984 KFZ-BRIEF - WEGFALL JEDOCH MIT COC-PAPIERE
989 IDENTIFICATION PLATE UNDER WINDSHIELD

Clk320x
Really grateful
rear axle level control system?
Wat is to look out for on this please
I see elegance mentioned a lot would this model then be considered a base model or elegance

Clk320x
Really grateful
rear axle level control system?
Wat is to look out for on this please
I see elegance mentioned a lot would this model then be considered a base model or elegance

IIRC that is the auto levelling rear suspension and is standard fit on E class estates.

I don’t think they go wrong very often, just make sure the car sits level? @bob6600 had a s210 so he is the Best to ask:) I’m sure he will reply soon

A full service history would be invaluable as it suggest caring ownership.RUST is the big problem, so look very very carefully everywhere.

Has mentioned got receipts etc
So at least part service history and mot check seems to show changing of suspension brake lines at some point only thing vague I can pick up on is front wheel bearing slight play advisory need to find out if been done and obviously mentions undersill and engine trays fitted for 700 pound I'm not expecting showroom condition but not wanting another money pit like the one I currently own

IIRC that is the auto levelling rear suspension and is standard fit on E class estates.

I don’t think they go wrong very often, just make sure the car sits level? @bob6600 had a s210 so he is the Best to ask:) I’m sure he will reply soon

Yes self levelling rear suspension was standard on the estates. There is a hydraulic reservoir under the bonnet which fills the system. There are two spheres at the back which can eventually fail. I'm sure these were supposed to level the car once started so check for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom